Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Xmas Truce Photo

Langdon

Saw this on Twitter - Awesome-fun.com (hum) with this caption: "German and British troops forgot about the war for a moment, and played a game of football in the Christmas Truce of 1914 in WWI". I've seen photos of the Xmas truce and haven't seen this before - isn't this a training ground match with tents in the background - and no Huns?

9.jpeg

Supplimentary question - anyone know this photo?

Mike

Yes, it's a well-known photo. It has no connection to the 1914 truce. And it was used on the front cover of a reference book several years ago. Can't remember the name of the book - I think it was subtitled 'the male body and the war' or something like that.

Saw this on Twitter - Awesome-fun.com (hum) with this caption: "German and British troops forgot about the war for a moment, and played a game of football in the Christmas Truce of 1914 in WWI". I've seen photos of the Xmas truce and haven't seen this before - isn't this a training ground match with tents in the background - and no Huns?

Mike

Mike,

As headgardener has said, that photograph has nothing whatsoever to do with the Western Front 1914 Christmas Truce, it is one of a pair of photographs taken of an Officers v Other Ranks from the 26th Divisional Ammunition Train, Army Service Corps football match played at their Camp just outside the city of Salonika ( Balkans ) on 25th December 1915.

As you noted, you can see the ASC white tents in the background, not something seen close to the trenches on the Western Front.

Attached is the other photograph of that football match.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-25600200-1425779041_thumb.j

Just remembered the title of the book that I mentioned in my earlier post - it was called "Dismembering the male: Men's bodies, Masculinity and the Great War". The photo in the OP is used on the front cover.

Thanks guys - I was thinking Salisbury Plain not Salonika!

Mike

Officers v Other Ranks from the 26th Divisional Ammunition Train, Army Service Corps football match played at their Camp just outside the city of Salonika ( Balkans ) on 25th December 1915.

So there was a football match during the Christmas truce between enemies after all :)

" He was playing football and wilfully damaged his uniform cap by attempting to head the ball Sir. You can see the impression of his cap badge on his forehead quite clarly".