Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
JustinL

References in remarks box.

JustinL

Can anybody please tell me what the reference numbers/codes in the remarks box on my gf's MIC mean?

Many thanks in advance.

Justin

GavinH

They show that he was entitled to a 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. These were issued in July 1921. He was also awarded a Silver War Badge (SWB) which indicates that he was discharged due to wounds or sickness. The numbers/codes are Medal Roll references. The medal rolls are held at the National Archives. They are not very informative for officers, but the SWB list should give a home address.

Regards

Gavin

Compo

Gavinh,

Curious while reading this topic as I notice an X with dots in between. There is one by the British War Medal and one by the Lieut rank. I have seen this before with other cards. What does it mean?

Bill

GavinH

It indicates that the British War Medal and Victory Medal were named with the rank 'Lieut.' The 1914-15 Star would show the rank as 2/Lieut.

Regards

Gavin

JustinL

Gavin,

I missed your initial answer. Many thanks.

I thought the roll no. was the MiddlxR/OFF/107 part and the remarks on the right must have had further significance.

I am clutching at any straw that might tell me the exact battalion in which my gf was serving when he nearly blown up in May '16.

Thanks again.

Justin

GavinH

Justin,

Sorry, I've just realised that it was only the bit in the remarks box you were asking about. This is a note that is commonly seen, and I believe it relates to a voucher that was sent out with the medals. The voucher was signed by the recipient and returned. The date shows when it was sent (I think). In this case the 5th July 1921.

There are officer service papers for a N Levy at the National Archives in WO339/54125 which may be him. Also, the Army Lists should indicate which battalion he was serving with.

Regards

Gavin

JustinL

Gavin,

Thanks for looking again.

I certainly recall seeing the medals as a child, and I hope to find them when I visit my mother soon.

The National Archives website has ground to halt, so I abandoned any further searches for information. I shall certainly pursue the reference that you found.

Rgds,

Justin

collectorsguide

REMARKS COLUMN SHOWS.....IV=ISSUE VOUCHER..X1022...D=DESPATCHED ON 5TH JULY 1921.BEST WISHES, HOWARD.

Compo

GavinH,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, now that you say it makes perfect sense duh!

Bill

JustinL

Thanks for all the interest and, most importantly, the explanation.

I hope to find the medals at my mother's house this weekend.

Rgds,

Justin

rflory

JustinL wrote:

I am clutching at any straw that might tell me the exact battalion in which my gf was serving when he nearly blown up in May '16.

Justin: Nigel B. Levy was commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant in the 5th (Reserve) Battalion, Middlesex Regiment on 22 June 1915 and was attached to the 2nd Battalion of the Regiment during 1916. He returned to the 5th (Reserve) Battalion in late 1916 or early 1917 and was promoted to Lieutenant on 22 December 1917. He must have been invalided out of the service prior to November 1918 because he does not appear in that month's Army List.

Regards. Dick Flory

JustinL

Dick,

Luckily I was sitting down when I read your posting! Where and how did you find all those details?

My gf was (I quote from the Army Medical Board) 'blown into a dug-out during a raid [May 1916], carried on, but could not stand shell-fire any longer'. He was received at the hospital in Etretat on 18 May 1916.

He was in hospital in London, then on sick leave until the end of '16. From 1 Jan '17, he was on light duty at Chatham (5th reserve).

The War Office finally judged that he was sufferring from acute shell shock (neurasthenia), and he was indeed invalided out on 13 December 1917. The letter states that he 'will never be fit for any service'. Pretty damning for a 28 year-old!

Now that you have confirmed that he was with the 2nd battalion, I know where he was 'blown up' - near Ovillers (Somme).

Next step- the war diary. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Justin

(Dublin)