Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Black Dudley

German - December 1916 Peace Offer to Russia ?

Black Dudley

Bought this Spott Medal (Mocking / Ridicule Medal) deals with 12th December 1916 German peace offer made to Russia and its rejection. I collect Spott Medals designed by Karl Götz, a peace offer was also made to Britain & France - independent Belgium with a pro-German government, part of Alsasc -Lorraine offered to France, payment for damage etc.

Nowhere do I read, what actually were the peace terms offered to the Russians on 12th December 1916 ? if there was anything concrete offered at all? My question,does any member what was offered on the table to the Russians ?

Medal - Iron, 5,7cm diameter

post-30624-0-24414300-1425589314_thumb.j

post-30624-0-68802500-1425589340_thumb.j

James A Pratt III

I think the book "Germany's War Aims" might have some information on them. Whatever they were the Tsar rejected them.

James A Pratt III

Chancellor Theobold Von Bethmann Hollweg's wiki bio there is the Septemberprogramm of Germany's war aims which weren't all that good for Russia or her Allies. As a side effect some Russian thought the Tsar was negociating a separate peace with Germans which helped destroy what little support there was left for the monarchy. Some Russians and others thought Rasputin was involved which is one of the reasons why he was murdered.

Latze

The peace offer contained no concrete items except for the nice sounding conclusion "Die Vorschläge, die sie zu diesen Verhandlungen mitbringen werden, und die darauf gerichtet sind, Dasein, Ehre und Entwicklungsfreiheit ihrer Völker zu sichern, bilden nach ihrer Überzeugung eine geeignete Grundlage für die Herstellung eines dauerhaften Friedens." (The offers we will make are intended to secure the existence, honor and possibility of development of our people and are thus a reliable platform to secure a permanent peace. - my own translation).

I think the main factor wasn't the September Programm (in my eyes a policy paper whose shelf life was expired by 1916) but the inability by the Austrian and German government to agree on anything (like the question of an independent Poland for example).