Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

stuart rowles

I am researching every man with the surname ROWLES.

There are 305 of them.

The following are unidentfied as no papers exist. They are all Royal Field Artillery or Royal Garrison Artillery

Can anyone offer any information about the following men from their numbers or does anyone have access to any other records that might help identify them.

Ambrose ROWLES, Driver, No. 92712

Arthur ROWLES, Gunner, No. 256940

Edward ROWLES, Private, No. 1126, No. 276128

Harry ROWLES, Driver, No. 121265

James ROWLES, Gunner, No. 200551

William ROWLES, Gunner, No. 230236

Any little detail that might suggest a place of birth or their age would be extremely helpful

There is a J Rowles RGA in the National Roll of the Great War survived lived 16 Bank St Hulme Manchester ( presume his brother was T Rowles Royal Navy survived same address same document)

The only two possible Ambrose Rowles of a suitable age on the 1911 census, are a Welcome Ambrose Rowles born 1883 in Addleston Surrey, he was a Chauffeur and a George Ambrose Rowles born 1886 in Isleworth

• Admin

Hi Rolloman

There are detailed posts on the forum concerning SOME detsils on RA numbering. If you could break them down into RFA and RGA would be useful. Also, the Medal Index Cards are free to view on Ancestry now (you just need to register) so you may find some of them had prior service but they ended up in areas like the Ammunition Columns etc.

Glen

I have already narrowed the name Ambrose down to 2 possibles but have got no further.

I have all the Medal Index Cards for Rowles and all the available service papers.

One of them has a Silver War Badge but annoyingly no age was given.

Would there be any paperwork at the Royal Artillery Museum that would help?

Edited by ROLLOMAN

Glen did suggest that you include the Corps, whether RFA or RGA, on your original post.

Have you searched the forum? You could have a look at

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Yes, Edward and James were both Royal Garrison Artillery. Sorry for omitting this in the first place.

I know from the Medal Index Card that Edward was with the 20th Heavy Battery, entered a War Zone on 7.8.1915 and discharged on 9.3.1919.

He was awarded a 14/15 trio. This is all I know about him.