Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Work on Hill 60

JimSmithson

Couldn't see anything anywhere else on the Forum so I thought everyone ought to be aware of what is happening on Hill 60 at the moment. If anyone knows what is going on I would love to know.

post-28845-0-62415200-1424953022_thumb.j

This is someone else's photo, I saw the work from a car the other day but didn't have time to stop and investigate.

Jim

New paths and walkways, Jim. It is intended to reduce the erosion caused by visitors walking everywhere around the site. There was an artist's impression of the finished project posted on a board outside the site last year.

I find it amazing that there is a pinned thread on the threat of a building obscuring the view of Hill 60 and what is happening actually on the site doesn't seem to have raised any comment from Forum members at all. Do folk not realise what they are doing?! Hill 60 as we have all known it is not there any more - you are going to be led around the site like a bunch of unruly school kids. OK rant over, feel better now but raise the question - where next?

Jim

One can hope that it will be temporary - ie for the duration of the Centenary plus a year or two. I think it is reasonable to preserve the site from erosion when visitor numbers are so heavy and at least they are not digging the things in. I suspect, also, that the CWGC might have health and safety issues in mind - someone many years ago tried to sue them when one of her high heels sank in the grass, broke off and forced her to fall. What else one might have expected when walking on grass in wet weather I am not sure, but ....

• Admin

Jim

Thak you for pointing out the pinned thread.

There was this post in Battelfield Touring which may / may not add weight to Nigel's post of it being a temporary workaround to cope with Centtenary tourists.

Glen

Jim I fear you hid the answer in your post.

I take school groups on there and they have set tasks which the freedom to roam allows them to carry out with far more meaning and understanding than if they are led on a raised route around the site. Such action is unnecessary even for the numbers expected and I'm not sure what they are doing looks temporary. Building a raised walkway for a large number of people required secure foundations and they are digging in. I wonder what supervision is taking place as to how deep and what they are uncovering. Interesting that the plans for the work were displayed for a very limited period of time.

Limiting where you can walk Egbert will make it even less comfortable for some when a couple of large groups are on site, unruly or not. Also I've seen more than a few unruly adult groups in my time here. This is not an answer to such a problem.

Jim

I can't see any reason for them otherwise. I can imagine a similar situation to that in Newfoundland Park and Vimy. I very much hope that I am wrong.

Jim

Jim,

No idea if it will be forbidden. I'll inquire.

And if visitors leave the walkway ... What can be done ? There will be no one there to fine them...

Maybe it is hoped : well, some will leave the walkway, some - ladies with high heeled shoes - will not. So at least part of the erosion will be stopped.

I'll keep you informed.

Aurel

Just got back from a weekend in Ypres and visited Hill 60 and frankly if in future you are going to have to stay on the marked out paths that I saw then there is going to be large swathes of the hill that will be out of bounds as such. Also there is a complete new path being put in from the road up to and all around the Caterpillar crater.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have just heard that the work has been cancelled and there will be no walkway on Hill 60. It will be interesting to see who has made the decision and why. The present materials will be removed.

Jim

The discussion about the damage done to Hill 60 has been going on for a while on the Dutch Forum, but the latest posting (by Bert) confirms what Jim wrote.

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=13565&start=100

(This is page 3. The Hill 60 works postings start on 2 March. Most interesting postings by "Bert".)

(Yes, I know, only a slight minority of GWF members read Dutch ... :-( )

Aurel

I have just heard that the work has been cancelled and there will be no walkway on Hill 60. It will be interesting to see who has made the decision and why. The present materials will be removed.

Jim

Maybe they are waiting for the illegal developement opposite Hill 60 to be demolished so that they can use the rubble from that for the walkways....(joking. :thumbsup: ..?)

regards

Tom

Mick,

According to Bert : works stopped ... no walkway ... what has already been constructed of the walkway will be removed.

But there has already been caused serious damage. (By the vehicles, "dumpers" or so. The result of doing works without supervision.)

If you go to the Dutch Forum (again), I see someone posted a photo also of the Caterpillar crater works. Some trees in the crater removed, one remained ... And a stone (gravel) walk path around it.

I have not been there uyself yet, but will go as soon as possible.

Yesterday evening I met someone who lives nearby (a WW1 enthusiast). I must say his opinion was not so dramatic. But I know : a matter of ... taste. I want to see myself.

Aurel

Just this : as to the walkway, I may have been a little premature. We don't know yet if it won't be carried through, maybe only adapted into a "light" version.

Aurel

Thanks Aurel, the photographs speak for themselves, the area has been butchered!

Mick

OMG-thanx for the self-speaking pictures Yvonne. A disaster for which all the mentioned supervisory body's are to be hold responsible:

post-80-0-03670600-1426496628_thumb.jpg

I went there yesterday, and in a way I was ... "relieved". I mean : I had expected worse (after all I had read on this and the Dutch Forum). But let it be clear, it is a good thing that works were stopped, for in my eyes the complete works (marked on the ground now with stripes and plastic ropes and small wooden poles and nets) are not necessary at all, and would have caused more serious damage (and also visual pollution).

As to the Caterpillar crater ... I spoke to someone last Saturday who was partly in charge (advising, not carrying out the works). The path around it was not really necessary in my opinion (the surface around the crater was stable enough), and what is there is now (the path), is too massive I think. (There will be no need for cars to drive around.) Trees inside the crater or on the slopes have been removed, except one on the edge of the water (oak tree).

I may post photos later today.

Aurel

A few pics taken yesterday.

First 2 or 3 to how that not the whole site has been damaged (yet).

Aurel

post-92-0-49579600-1426526498_thumb.jpg