Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenant T.S. Crompton, Border Regiment

BereniceUK

The CWGC and the family headstones, both in St Michael's churchyard, Shap, have him as Second Lieutenant Thomas Sherwood Crompton, Border Regiment. Died 29th October 1915, aged 29. But the CWGC database has him as a Private in the London Regiment (Artists' Rifles).

CROMPTON, THOMAS SHERWOOD

Service No: 4750

Date of Death: 29/10/1915

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Artists' Rifles) 3rd/28th Bn.

Grave Reference: In East part.

Cemetery: SHAP (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information: Son of the Rev. William Henry Crompton, M.A., and Mrs. Martha Crompton, of the Vicarage, Shap.

Was he in the London Regiment (Artists' Rifles) prior to the Border Regiment? If not, who was 4750 allocated to in the London Regiment (Artists' Rifles)?

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

There's an MIC for 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Harold Crompton of the Border Rgt. KIA 03.07.16 - with his mother Mrs W H Crompton and a Shap address - his brother?

Mike

Yes, his brother. Also mentioned on the same family memorial.

IMG_0609.jpg

Thomas Sherwood Crompton's gazetting as a 2nd Lt. in the Border Regt. was not published in the London Gazette until after his death. Perhaps this has some bearing on the situation?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29393/page/12205

Edited to add the following:-

Thomas Sherwood Crompton's service record as Pte. 4750 London Regt., 28th Bn. (Artists Rifles) exists. His address was given as The Vicarage, Shap, Westmorland. Father - Rev. W. H. Crompton. He was medically examined on 19.10.1915, posted to 28th Bn. (as Pte.) on 21.10.1915, accidentally drowned in Lake Windermere whilst on leave on 28.10.1915. Service reckoned to be 9 days.

He drowned while bathing.in the Millerground Lake, Windermere.

Was 3/28th London Bn more or less an officer training battalion? Perhaps he hadn't finished?

Most interesting, thank you, gentlemen. Which begs the question - why has the CWGC put the different rank and regiment on his headstone to what's on their database?

Perhaps the database has to be correct (at time of death) but he was given some kind of honorary/posthumous commission prior to the headstones...

Mike

A local press report of his demise could be interesting reading. Other than that I can't see the exact course of facts emerging.

Unfortunately, very little detail in this brief article which appeared in at least 6 newspapers;

VICAR'S SON DROWNED WINDERMERE. Thomas Sherwood Crompton. aged 26, son of the Rev. W. H. Crompton, vicar of Shap, Westmorland, was drowned while bathing Millerground. Lake Windermere, yesterday. He was noticed making for the shore, but then disappeared. His body was recovered later ninety yards from the shore.

The grave registration report (On CWGC) has some interesting notes

5th Border Regt and 2nd Lt are crossed out and replaced with 3/28th Lond Regt 4750 and Pte.

There is also a * with the note at the top of the page - Appears on headstone and in register as 2/Lt Border Rgt. Auth see ???? book there is also a reference to SDGW.

SDGW lists him as a private in the London regiment. as does all his military records

He only enlisted 9 days prior to the accident. I wondered if he had previously served and possibly kept a previous rank, but the questions regarding previous service on his attestation is answered "No"

Was 3/28th London Bn more or less an officer training battalion? Perhaps he hadn't finished?

This in LLT:

3/28th Battalion

Formed in September 1914 and moved to Richmond Park. Renamed 2/28th Bn in November. Moved to Hare Hall (Romford) in March 1916 and became No 15 Officer Cadet Battalion, not affiliated to a regiment.

Any way of knowing if they were training officers before formally becoming No.15?

Mike

Arthur H Crompton- Reference - Penrith Observer= date of newspaper 5.1.15= page- 4, column- a, 11.7.16=5d, 18.7.16=3d & 25.7.16= 5c. Herald =15.7.16-5a

T S Crompton - Penrith Observer= 2.11.15- 5c

Both newspaper in Public Library Penrith.

References to index of soldiers in Cumbrian news papers Go to CUMBRIA LIBRARIES - LOCAL STUDIES- LIST OF ALL NEWSPAPERS ON RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE PAGE. Click on the one you want soldiers are listed in the index.

Richard

Penrith is too far but I may be able to go to Kendal next month. The Westmorland Gazette covers Windermere and there should be a report of his career and death in the files in Kendal Library, also, perhaps, of the inquest if there was one.

• 4 years later...

Good morning - I am resident in Penrith - last week I purchased an old book from a Carlisle charity shop that was awarded to Thomas in 1897 - it was a prize for drawing, he would have been 11 years of age -  I will write up a short biography and insert it into the book.

I found the comments in this forum very interesting indeed - it is also quite sad how soon people are forgotten and their belongings cast to the winds.

A friend once told me there are two deaths - the death when you actually die, and the death when the last person with a memory of you dies

Kincaid

Edited by Kincaid
To correct date

If I may make another comment - why are there two headstones, a military one and the one in St Michaels churchyard in Shap - the Shap one states that he is interred there.

I find this as equally puzzling as the two ranks and two regiments.

Kincaid

Edited by Kincaid
Misspelling