Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why might an M.I.D. have been awarded?

annieb22

My husband's grandad received a Mention in Despatches from Lt.-Gen. G. F. Milne, K.C.B., D.S.O., Commander-in-Chief, British Salonika Force, "for gallant conduct and distinguished services rendered during the period from the 21st September, 1917, to February 28th, 1918".

I've been reading about the Salonika Campaign but can't find any particular action of note in this time-frame. He was an Observer in the R.N.A.S. based at Stavros. I know about the bombing of the Goeben in January 1918 but could anyone enlighten me about any special circumstances during the 5 month period mentioned above?

Many thanks.

Annie

Edited by annieb22

Ive seen VC recommendations down graded to a MID - its pure speculation to answer the question sorry

have you looked in his local papers?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm having difficulty tracking down an operational diary. He was in D Flight, No 2 Wing, R.N.A.S. at Stavros from August 1917 to November 1918. I think the squadron got renamed to 62 Wing at some point and then it turned into 221 Squadron when the RAF was formed. The closest I got was at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4090978 but this spans the period Mar-Dec 1918.

I've tried the British Newspaper archive but nothing has turned up.

I think the answer may never come to light. However, his DFC citation stated it was for stuff he did for a period of a year and this also spans the MID period so it was probably not for one particular action.