Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60

Whizzbang

I think they were tunnels from WW1 Chris - I'm sure I have seen somewhere a photo of the entrance - maybe closer to Larch Wood ( I think this was an area where the 1917 mines were started - could be wrong though ? ) ?

I wonder if the entrance still exists hidden in the undergrowth ?

The spoil mound is very visable just outside the cemetery enclosure looking towards the hill. I have been unable to locate dug out entrances over recent years but their former locations are very easy to locate when using linesman or vis period trench map. Try contacting people such as Paul Reed or Iain McHenry on this subject. ;-)

Will do Chris thanks for the info - this whole area is fascinating

Does anybody know why there are no actual trench remains on the hill ?

It seems like they were either blasted out of existence by the 1917 mine or have just softened over time ?

There is a good aerial photo of Hill 60 Spring of 1915 on the front cover of WFA bulletin number 101 (March 2015)

Clearly showing the British/German front lines and mine craters up very close + the railway crossing, bridge and part of the German trench system on the Caterpilllar

Can anyone provide me with a link to the Trench Map for Hill 60, esp Larch Wood, Jackson Street and trenches 38-43? I going thru' the 2nd Battalion (Canada) for 26 April 1916 when the Germans set off a mine under their line.

Just been comparing all the aerial shots of hill 60 with more modern photos

Question :

Was the bridge over the railway rebuilt in a different position to the wartime site ?

It seems, in the war photos, that the footprint of craters is quite a way from the bridge/road

Now it seems that the modern road skirts very close to the crater field etc

Anyone ?

Is this the photo published by WFA March 2015 ?

Sorry, bridge not visible. To the left of the photo.

Craters quite a way from the road, and modern road closer to the crater field ... I don't know ...

Aurel

post-92-0-53845600-1426414967_thumb.jpg

Hi Aurel

Yes this is the same photo - the WFA bulletin shows part of the bridge and the German front line on the Caterpillar as well.

They must have rebuilt the bridge much closer to the hill as the road is very close to the crater field now.

Thought I'd post the 2nd Battalion (Canada) CO's report of the blowing of a mine near Hill 60 on 26 April 1916

Report of German Attack

On the afternoon of the 26th April 1916, the German artillery bombarded the Dump, Battalion Headquarters Railway Cutting, Jackson Street, Larch Wood, and open ground in rear of trenches 43 and 44.
The bombardment was steadily increased during the late afternoon, and about 6.30 p.m. a mine was exploded in trench 42, under Bays 6, 7, and 8. This particular part of the line was held by 14 men belonging to No. 13 Platoon.
At the particular time the mine was exploded our artillery were retaliating on the German lines opposite out from. Immediately after the mine was exploded, the Germans opened up a heavy bombardment on our Support and Communication trenches, also along our front line trenches, from trench 38 to 44 and as far east of the Fosse, this was no doubt done to prevent our Supports coming up.
The crater formed by the mine measures about 130 feet long by 45 feet wide, by 30 feet deep.
After the mine explosion took place, the S.O.S. SIGNALS were set out and in a few seconds our artillery opened for on the enemy lines.
The bombardment steadily increased in violence on both sides and when the German fire lifted a little on our front line, we manned our parapet and opened rapid fire on the enemy who were advancing and coming over the parapet in groups opposite trench 39, trench 42 and the sap on the left of trench 44.
The enemy did not appear to be carrying rifles, but had hand grenades, spades, and what looked like “drums” slung on a stick carried by two men. This drum contained what is known as a mobile charge. Two of these were secured later and contained an explosive similar to 40% dynamite. This explosive is used for blowing up mine shafts, bridges etc.
A few of the Germans who advanced succeeded in reaching our bombing post in trench 39.
They advanced from their own trench by ashes, taking cover in shell holes and in the crater opposite the sap in trench 39. This sap is used as a bombing post and a boming section of 8 men held this post, three of these were killed by shell fire, and five wounded, We evacuated this post as it was almost levelled by shell fire.
The enemy only occupied our sap for a few minutes when our troops counter-attacked and closed in on the sap where the Germans had entered our trench. Seeing our men closing in, the enemy beat a hasty retreat into the crater in front of trench 39, and made off under cover of the heavy smoke that had settled down on “No Man’s Land”.
They left behind them a number of hand grenades and shovels as well as two of the cylinders already mentioned.
Many were seen to fall as a result of our rifle fire and were helped back to their own trenches by their comrades,
A quantity of our hand grenades and ammunition were buried as a result of the bombardment along our front but more was sent up from Battalion Headquarters.
It is thought that a number were killed by our machine gun and rifle fire as the half company in trench 38 were continually firing, but being so dark it was difficult ti estimate the number
Patrols were sent out after dark to discover if an German dead or wounded were lying in “No Man’s Land” but none could be found.

After the crater explosion, many Germans were seen leaning over their parapet, evidently waiting for the word to advance others were seen leaving their trench and rushing forward, but quietly got under cover web our front line troops opened fire o them.
In front of the crater, about 25 of the enemy’s bombers advanced, rushing towards the crater but were driven back by well-directed rifle fire from trench 44, some were seen to fall here, and others turned back and disappeared behind their parapet.
At the same time a small party of bombers were see to leave the German trench in front of the saps on the left of trench 44 and move towards the bombing post held by the 1st Battalion bombers on our left.
This post of the 1st Battalion was driven in.
Lieutenant Richardson who was in command of No 16 Platoon who held the left of trench 44, assisted greatly in driving he Germans back who were evidently out to occupy the crater.
When he found that the 1st Battalion bombing post was vacant, he built a barricade in the sap at the junction of trenches 44 and 45 to prevent the Germans getting into our trench at that point.
He then established communications in trench 45 with the 1st Battalion who, later on, reoccupied their old position.
We had five machine guns in the front line when the mine exploded—disposition as follows:
Two guns in trench 38
One gun in trench 39
One gun in trench 42
One gun in trench 43
Both guns in trench 38 were buried under our parapet as a result of German artillery, and trench mortar fire, but were quickly recovered and placed in position again.
The gun in trench 39 was also buried and three men of the crew of six killed. (this gun has since been recovered.)
The gun in trench 42 was also buried, immediately recovered and put into action.
The gun in trench 43 was always ready to fire but held its fire as it was thought more Germans would come on and a better target would be presented.
The Brigade Machine Gun Company had five machine guns in the dump. One of these guns was taken over and was placed in position in Lovers Lane covering the bridge and approaches.
The gun in trench 38 covered Hill 60
The gun in trench 39 covered the crater and Hill 60
The gun in trench 42 covered the crater and Hill 60
The gun in trench 43 covered the snout and approaches from it

When the mine was exploded my firing line was reinforced from the support line and No 2 Company was moved up from the rear into the support line behind trenches 40, 41, and 42.
The right of trench 39 starting from the railway cutting was reinforced by miners from the 3rd Tunnelling Company. These men rendered valuable assistance, but their rifles should be better looked after.
Two companies of the 4th Battalion were sent up by Brigade reinforcements, but as they were not required they returned to their billets.
When the mine exploded orders were given at once to occupy and consolidate it. This was done immediately.
Our artillery fire was very effective, and our men great encouraged by it. I believe it forced the enemy to withdraw from his front line.
After the bombardment was over immediate steps were taken to repair the damage done to our trenches and on the following morning the trenches were in fairly good shape, all breaches having been closed up.
I regret to report the following casualties: 44 killed, 10 missing (these 10 men were in trench 42, under which the mine exploded, and their bodies will probably never be recovered) and 116 wounded.
During the bombardment, a dug out in trench 38 was blown up and five men buried beneath it The ground in this vicinity was at that time subjected to a torrent of German shell fire. Company Sergt/Major Hoey, of “A” Company seeing this, worked for one hour and a half and rescued the five buried me, all of them were alive. The rescued men had given up all hope of being rescued. Sergt/Major Hoey at the same time directed his men who were manning the fire trench.
He had no shovel to dig the men out but started to do it with his hands. Attached a statement of the five rescued men. 
 I attached a list of officers, N.C.O’s and men that deserve special attention.
These are outstanding cases. I am just proud of the way all the Officers, N.C.O’s and men behaved under the most trying circumstances, and all ranks are living up to the Regiment Motto—“Semper Paratus”.
[signed]
A.E. Swift
Lt-Colonel
Commanding 2nd Canadian Battalion.

—————————————————
To:
Captain Hall
NO 1 Company
2nd Canadian Battalion

We the undersigned Privates of your Company respectfully beg of you to tender our very best thanks and eternal gratitude to Sergeant Major W. Hoey who bravely left a comparatively safe position to rescue us five unfortunate men who were buried in a dug-out which was blown in on us though there was a torrent of German shell fore he worked for an hour and a half with the help of Private Yates, and later, Major McLaughlin, and got the five of us out alive. While at the same time he was digging us out he directed his men and gave them our ammunition when theirs was running out. We had given up all hopes of being saved as many men had passed us, this S/Major Hoey came along to us and dug with his hands till his nailed bled. God bless this brave man. We would be very grateful if you would let the Colonel know abut this. Sir, we hope you will excuse us if we are not putting down this story right, but you know we are only Private soldiers.
Signed,
No.
8531 Pte W. T. Cunning
146517 “ F. Donely (in hospital)
10770 “ W. Bere
602904 “ A.C. Fagan
603249 “ J. H. Smiles

I can only find this map with Jackson street, and of course Larch wood etc on it Sean.......... (forgot to mention..its from Jan 1917)

post-5284-0-80102200-1426492350_thumb.jp

regards

Tom

• 4 years later...

Some excellent information here. I am looking for any accounts of the gas attack on 5 May 1915 on Hill 60 especially from the 2 Duke of Wellingtons Regiment. I have their war diary and the account by Ernest Shephard in his book ‘Hill to to the Somme’ and Nigel Cave’s book on Hill 60.

Thanks

David 

• 3 months later...

Hill 60 (1) early 1915 showing in red square small French craters

regards,

Cnock

F93.jpg