Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60

Whizzbang

Having long been absolutely fascinated by the fighting on and under Hill 60 (Ypres Salient), does anybody have some rare photos of the battlefield during the war years - aerial/oblique or otherwise

And are there any photos of Hill 60 straight after the war ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Aurel - that is a fascinating photo - I believe this was taken in the Spring of 1915 ?

I wonder if there any similar shots of the hill post war ?

Whizzbang,

One more.

Same source.

Sorry, no date mentioned.

And I'll send you a PM later today.

(I'm off now, in a hurry.)

Aurel

post-92-0-70846400-1424777010_thumb.jpg

Peter Barton's panoramic book 'The Battlefields of the First World War' has a clearer version of the picture Aurel has posted from John Giles book. If you Google Hill 60 under 'Images' you'll get a whole raft of photos, but many of them are not of the Hill, and few appear to be immediately after the war.

Thanks to everyone for their input/photos

I find it amazing that such a famous place does not have more photos - maybe it was just to dangerous to photograph - but in the post war years ?? There must surely be some private collections with some of the hill ?

Whizzbang,

Did you receive the PM I sent yesterday ?

Also this : what is post-war ? You wrote "straight after the war". So you mean latest : 1930 or so ?

Well, I'm only asking because 1930s and 1970s is also post-war ... :)

Aurel

Sorry, Whizzbang. The oldest post-war photo of (a trench at) Hill 60 I can find is from 1938 (from the magazine "Twenty Years After".

There is one in Giles, Ypres Salient, p 132, caption : "The Ypres-Roulers line, looking toward Ypres from the road bridge" [the author means : the brdge at Hill 60). But in my opinion there may be some doubt, as this railroad line was (is) not Ypres - Roulers (Roeselare), but Ypres - Wervik - Kortrijk etc.

Also : the photo is dated "10th November 1918". 10th Novemeber ! If it had been taken two days later, then that would have been post-war ... :)

Aurel

Thanks Aurel

Photos of Hill 60 (without foliage/bushes etc) would be very interesting to see - as it was a frequently visited post war site, surely there must be something out there in private collections - anyone ??

Whizzbang,

You may find some with Google, "Hill 60". Maybe from 1917-18, but I think I saw some (?) "sometime after the war".

Aurel

Cnock,

Nice photo ! Never seen that one before.

I've just found that the original's Queen's Rifles Monument was erected in 1923. So the photo must be 1923 or soon after.

And showing houses already having been built opposite.

Aurel

Hill 60,

Interbellum

Cnock

Hill 60

post-7723-0-72320100-1425237143_thumb.jp

post-7723-0-77158800-1425237235_thumb.jp

Thanks Cnock - fascinating photos - you can really see how raw and battered the hill was 5/10 years after hostilities had ended.

Where were the trenches located ? Were they real trenches from the war or were they dug for tourists afterwards ?

Many thanks

Whizzbang

My father can recall going around the trenches and also the billet tunnels/deep dugouts (complete with bunks, kit etc etc) on a tour of the battlefields he made with his father (7th Leicesters) in 1937; I imagine that the trenches were at least based on the originals. He was very disappointed that these had gone when he took me on my first visit in the summer of 1968. Off topic somewhat, but we have a rather good photo of him in one of the saps in the preserved trench system at Vimy as a lad of 14, again in the same sap on his second visit in 1968, again in 2008 and finally in 2012, on the 75th anniversary. Alas, he is not up to making any further visits these days.

WHIZZBANG if you go buy/read Nigel's excellent book on hill60 you will find out lots of things :thumbsup:

(Nigel what % discount do I get) :w00t:

Biff :poppy:

Hi Biff I do own a copy - must have a read through again

I also have the mighty "20 Years After" tomes - plenty of good photos in there as well

Henri Braem's book "The Battle of the Railway" covers the WW2 fighting which raged over the hill in May 1940 which resulted in much damage yet again especially to the big Aussie built WW1 bunker, the obliteration of the Queen Victoria's Rifles memorial, damage to the Australian tunnelers memorial and many local houses. His book also lists the burial locations of field graves of both British and German dead on the hill and nearby catapillar crater before they were reinterred elsewhere. Clearly many of the impact craters and scrapes are of WW2 vintage. Great book but unfortunately only in Dutch.

Interesting Chris - i never knew the extent of the fighting here in WW2

It must have been quite strange for these troops to be fighting on an already battered hill !!

I seem to recall that there were some tunnels in the vicinity as well ??

I never until I moved here, then read Henri's book and recovered the burial documents from the Ypres town WW2 archives. Not sure about WW2 tunnels however, plenty of slit trenches and fox hole type defences but it was the severe damage which is listed house by house which saw most destroyed over a period of a few days which amazed me!