Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Linham - 10th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Malcolm Linham

Friends

I am interested in Private John Linham 10th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, a few years ago I posted a query re an anomaly with his date of death listed by GWGC as having died on the 27th July 1916.

The privately published diary gives he date of death as the 20th July 1916, the reply I received suggested a possible theory that he was wounded on the 20th July and died on the 27th July.

This seemed quite reasonable and I took it no further.

However the Army register of Soldier effects clearly shows his date of death as the 20th July 1916.

This leads me onto ask from what document was the register completed and do you think I have enough evidence to persuade the GWGC that their date of death is wrong.

Would a death certificate resolve the issue ?

Best wishes

Malcolm

The CWGC may have a transcription error from the original registers however SDGW also has 27 July and they were separately compiled records.

Have you looked at the war diary to see what it says ?

Craig

For 27th

The Medal Rolls show he was 10th Bn (not attached away) but the he died on the 27th.

SDGW shows KIA (not DoW) but also shows 27th.

CWGC shows 10th Bn and date as 27th and is on Thiepval (strengthening KIA over Dow)

For 20th

Soldiers Effects

Typed version of 10th Bn War Diary published Post War showing him in large list of KIA for 19th/20th (also has DoW, Wounded & Missing lists).

Original War Diary of 10th Bn shows the action for 19th/20th but no list attached. It's referred to but has obviously been weeded (but not before the typed version was compiled?)

Original WarDiary shows that battalion was out of the line- no casualties on 27th.

See BMDs right hand column

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4130656/ART73/john%20linham

and top of right hand column here

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4169058/ART24/john%20linham

All told I'd say that it's a good case for amendment from 27th to 20th.

Hywyn

edit: insert additional stuff

The newspaper article would confirm it for me however somewhere along the line his records must have had a date of the 27th July listed in them.

I would suspect the CWGC would want a death cert before considering a change.

Craig

Gentlemen

Thank you very much for all the information, as you can see a very confused situation. I will order a death certificate and see where that takes me.

Best wishes

Malcolm

• 3 years later...

Pals 

I have a happy update to my original question having finally submitted my evidence to the CWGC , they have agreed  and have altered there records to show that Private 15668 John Linham 10th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers died on the 20 July 1916. 

Which means he either still in Deville Wood or one of the unknown graves in Deville Wood cemetery.

Thank you for all the advice.

Malcolm