Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Of subject but...?

armourersergeant

I know its off subject but has anybody read the latest publication of Field Marshall Lord Allanbrooke.The war diaries.

I found it a brilliant read that at times made me laugh and at others made me think what it must have been like to know how close to defeat and disaster we came. There were times when, and i know it sound fanciful but i went cold and almost wondered how i would have coped with the more fanciful ideas that churchill came upwith.

Cant help wondering what we would have made of a private diary (back on subject) had Robertson kept one of his time as CIGS. I'am assuming that he didnt.I have a copy of David Woodward's military correspondance robertson made whilst CIGS and that is interesting, but not the same as a diary.

Arm.

Although not a private diary, Robertson published his memeoirs after the war, which I think was called "From Private to Field Marshall". I have not read it but I believe part of the purpose was that it enabled him to put forward his role during WW1 in the best possible light, so presumably part fact, part fiction!

i have a copy of this and i am at the moment reading but like all works from this close to the subject he would not be too contravertial being so soon after the war, and anyway i feel having read some of the book that he was not a man who involved himself in a back biting role.

Arm.