Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Cert for Connaught Ranger Mutineer Died in India.

BrendanLee

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, if Mods feel it will do better elsewhere please feel free to move it.

I am researching the Connaught Ranger Mutineers. Private William Regan died on the 5th of September 1920, buried Christian Cemetery Ambala Haryana India. I have his sister’s application for a grant from the Irish Government and he is recorded on a list of Mutineers given to the Irish Government. His MIC shows early WW1 service, entitled to 1914 star with clasps and roses.

I am trying to find the cause of death, from the information I have it looks like he was convicted and discharged with Ignominy, from the accounts of other convicted Mutineers they were held under military guard while imprisoned in India. As he was discharged from the Army but in military custody would his death cert or record be held by the Army or would it be the civil authority.

It would be a good idea to see if he is included in these records (on Findmypast). You can search the name for free.

As you see the record may include the cause of death.

British India Office Deaths & Burials

1709-1965

Death and burial details

Name of deceased

Date of death

Place of death

Date of burial

Place of burial

Officiating minister

Rites of burial (occasionally)

Biographical information

Age at death

Occupation

Place of birth

Cause of death (from mid- 19th century onwards)

CGM

GRO ARMY DEATH INDICES (1881 to 1955) Transcription

First name(s) WILLIAM

Last name REGAN

Birth year 1886

Death year 1920

Age at death 34

Place JULLUNDUR

Country INDIA

Record source GRO Army Death Indices (1881 to 1955)

Page 104

Not much in 'Soldier's Effects'

4822990207320064.png?k=CDiWmTp5XbdltrF8y

I cannot see a record on findmypast. He may have died in the flu epidemics of the period. If not, perhaps enteric (typhoid) fever, or pneumonia.

Regarding Simon Fielding's post, you can buy a copy of the death certificate from the GRO

Here is an image of his gravestone

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=225081&personid=473689&scrwidth=1834

He is also on the CWGC website http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1481895/REGAN,%20W

He was the 4th death in the Ambala Cemetery in the period 13 August 1920 to 4 September 1920, so there appears to be some sort of epidemic.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you all for the information. Will a GRO certificate state the cause of death. I found his death record on FMP but it does not state what he died from. Four Mutineers died, Daly was executed, Sears and Smyth died from gunshot wounds in the attack on the armoury. John Miranda died after the Mutiny in Dagshai Prison. Attempts were made to repatriate Miranda’s body to Ireland when Daly, Sears and Smyth’s bodies were repatriated in the 1970s but I can find no mention of Regan. The epidemic looks likely, as far as I can remember that’s what Miranda died from.

Yes, generally a GRO certificate should show cause of Death.

Have been inspired by your posts to read Anthony Babington's book - fascinating topic.

I will apply for a GRO cert, it seem a bit odd that if Miranda is considered for repatriation Regan was not, maybe he was just forgotten about. I have The Devil to Pay but have not yet started to read it.

The information is for my website irishmedals.org although I have always had an interest in the Mutiny. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I went with my mother and a few brothers and sisters to Glasnevin cemetery, my mother had a first cousin KIA in WW1 and every year on his birthday we went to the memorial in Glasnevin, he wasn’t buried or remembered on the memorial, I think we went there because it was easier than going to Dozinghem where he is buried. As we were leaving Glasnevin Cemetery there were a few protesters protesting against the repatriation of the Connaught Rangers one of the protesters shouted something which contained the bad F word. Two Guards (Irish Policemen) pounced on him wrestled him to the ground handcuffed him and arrested him for shouting obscenities in front of a women and children. Being young and naïve at the time I thought the protesters were Connaught Rangers, I know differently now but it did start a life time interest in the Mutiny.

Perhaps the reason Regan was not repatriated was that it it is likely that he died for reasons unconnected with the mutiny. From the limited amount I have read, those convicted ended up in Dagshai prison. The fact that Regan died at Ambala seems to suggest that he was not in prison at the time.

Re my post 5, I should have said I could not see a record from the India Office deaths on findmypast.

Cheers

Maureen

That's a great website - really interesting.