Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R F C

colin12

Hi Chums,

Anyone help me with the above chap, I know he was with my Grandfather when he was wounded, during the Battle of Loos, he to was wounded on the 30th September 1915. But there the trail goes 'cold'. I beleive he was in the RFC 3 Sqn.

Colin

Guest Pete Wood

Name: FURSE, EDMUND WILLIAM

Initials: E W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 88th Bde.

Date of Death: 19/05/1918

Additional information: Chevalier of the Legion of Honour. Eldest son of Edmund Furse, of Alphington, Frimley; husband of Jessie C. Furse, of 21, Halsey St., Chelsea, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 20.

Cemetery: DORMANS FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY

Racing Teapots,

Many thanks, bits and peices of info fall into place, my grandfather and the major were forward with the Guards Bde signalling to aircraft overhead with a aldis lamp, reckon that the major could have been FOO.

I take it that is not a CWGC cemetery?

Thanks again

Colin

Colin

Capt E W Furse was one of the first replacements sent to the BEF to replace RFC casualties, being requested on 18 August 1914; he was a Royal Artillery officer, and a Staff College student, who was nominated to join the RFC in the event of mobilisation. He is mentioned in Volume I of The War in the Air due to a flight on 31 August 1914 when he was observer to Lt A E Borton of No 5 Sqn RFC (see My Warrior Sons edited by Guy Slater) when they were the first to detect the south-east swing of von Kluck's Army.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Hi forum,

I have seen his name crop up a few times.

Also flew as observer to Louis Strange during Sep-Oct 1914.

Baring mentions him in 'Flying Corps Headquarters 1914-1918'.

"Furse, a gunner who had been wounded as an observer early in the war came to us as a Staff-Officer." (This was around early April 1915).

And also, in November 1915, that Furse was seriously ill, only to recover and get killed later in the war.

Don't know what happened to him after Loos though.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

On the 28th Sept F/Sgt Burns was wounded, however Major Furse carried on their part of the Battle own his own( sending messages to overhead aircraft by aldis lamp), he too was wounded by shrapnel in the head on the 30th Sept, could be the serious illness recorded!

Thanks for your input, got to find out how he was killed now and where.

Cheer

Colin