Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

gilly100

Albert Facey 11Bn AIF

Bryn
11 hours ago, Auimfo said:

And yes, we’re all well aware that the records contain inaccuracies both considerable at times and minor at others.  But thanks for letting us know. 👍🏻

and: 

It’s a good thing you don’t own the bat and ball. 😫

Cheers,

Tim.

Good onya Tim. You've lost none of your  command of hilarious sarcasm but I see now you've mastered emoticons as well. 

Edited by Bryn

gilly100

It's  all the same, bat, ball, theirs, ours, their interpretation, our interpretation. Poor old Facey gets smashed and no one even dares to critique some of the Turk OH stuff and all their locked away records. Everything they have said is accurate of course. Pig's ****.😁😉

With our rifles and our faith. Pfft.

Auimfo

Bryn,

Thought about it for a while but ultimately couldn’t be bothered.  Far more interesting things to do with my time.

😴 This is the closest to a yawn emoticon I could find.  

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by Auimfo

Auimfo
4 hours ago, gilly100 said:

It's  all the same, bat, ball, theirs, ours, their interpretation, our interpretation. Poor old Facey gets smashed and no one even dares to critique some of the Turk OH stuff and all their locked away records. Everything they have said is accurate of course. Pig's ****.😁😉

With our rifles and our faith. Pfft.

Gilly, I think you’re mixing your topics up again.  I’ve never ‘smashed’ Facey and nor am I going to critique Turkish records that I’ve never seen, researched or commented on anywhere.  They might be relevant to the machine-gun topic but they make not one iota of difference to a debate about Facey landing on 25/4 or not.

By the way, I see you’ve used two emoticons together - Bryn will be impressed.

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by Auimfo

gilly100

😁😗🤗😋🥉for your quality sarcasm Tim. Love it but it's only a bronze. When there is a concise,  proper and fearless critique of the Ottoman narrative it will be a good day. Plenty could and should do it, but they won't. Facey unfortunately  is another by product of that narrative. If he is so unbelievable then he should never had been exploited to prosecute an argument in the first case. 

Ian

gilly100
On 31/12/2018 at 19:19, Bryn said:

Gilly,

I've long noted in my own research that the 11Bn had possibly the worst record-keeping regarding dates of death etc. of any Australian unit at the Landing. 35 soldiers are recorded as having been killed on 2 May, when the battalion was not engaged in any fighting. Almost all, if not all, of these were certainly killed between 25 and 28-29 April, with evidence for many. 

My point being that anyone who blindly trusts an 11Bn document at the time of landing at Gallipoli...

Regards 

Bryn

Some of this lousy record keeping can be put down to all the sergeant majors responsible for keeping records within their company's were all killed or wounded the first day.  The casualties for 11bn were much higher the first day than many realise.

Ian