Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

264 RE Construction Coy

Tom Goode

Hi All,

Apologies if this unit has featured before.

According to the War Diary of the 5th Australian Broad Gauge Railway Operating Company, the 264 th RE construction Company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and extension of the "Midland line" a military broad gauge line which ran from Peselhoek to St Jean in the lead up to and during the Third Battle of Ypres. Locomotives and staff from the railway unit were often attached to this RE coy sometimes for extended periods. It also mentions that the OC was an Australian named Captain Cook.

Does anyone have any information about this unit or point me in the appropriate direction. I am not familiar with the British records being more attuned to Australian records.

Regards

Tom Goode

Tom,

One item has come up on the Discovery database for the National Archives which may be that which you seek,allowing for the slightly differing title of the unit.

Unfortunately it is yet to be digitised,but the blurb on the header page suggest that it is being actioned and may be available online some time soon,for the sum of £3.30:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7356316

Thanks sotonmate,

I will get an estimate of the cost of a copy. It is sure to be less than an airfare from Australia.

Regards

Possibly. Might be a good idea to ask when the digital format is likely to appear.