Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCLI in Buncrana 1918 - 1919

Andy H

My grandfather was in the 4th Reserve Battalion of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He had been on active service in the Ypres region but had to return to England due to sickness. In June 1918, after about 6 months in various hospitals he re-joined his unit who were stationed at Luddan Camp, Buncrana, County Donegal. Previously the unit were stationed at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain. He was there until February 1919.

Can anyone tell me what the unit were doing there in Buncrana? Did they have any peace keeping duties there or was it simply somewhere for a military camp? I don't know if there was any militant republican activity at this time, though I know that by 1920 the Black and Tans were active in Buncrana.

I believe the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Royal Engineers were also stationed at this camp. Any other information about this camp would be gratefully received.

I have come across Buncrana as an RN patrol base (HMS HECLA II ?) in WW1,and there are refs to various Army units stationed there,so it must have had a barracks as well. May be the two worked together for the security of the operation of the RN base,as well as providing training for recruits (some of the Army units were Reserve Battalions).

3 Royal Irish Fusiliers were also there at some time.

I have come across Buncrana as an RN patrol base (HMS HECLA II ?) in WW1,and there are refs to various Army units stationed there,so it must have had a barracks as well. May be the two worked together for the security of the operation of the RN base,as well as providing training for recruits (some of the Army units were Reserve Battalions).

3 Royal Irish Fusiliers were also there at some time.

Thanks for this Sotonmate. It does make complete sense that the army would have been providing defence for the naval base. Hopefully it would have been a quiet posting.

Andy, your best bet would be to contact the Fort Dunree Military Museum which is just a few miles north of Buncrana and they have a website. I remember seeing an old photo of Luddan Camp which was mostly Bell Tents and a few tin huts. You could also try Donegal County Museum in Letterkenny who may have more information.

Andy, your best bet would be to contact the Fort Dunree Military Museum which is just a few miles north of Buncrana and they have a website. I remember seeing an old photo of Luddan Camp which was mostly Bell Tents and a few tin huts. You could also try Donegal County Museum in Letterkenny who may have more information.

Thanks Inishowen, I'll try your suggestions.

• 1 year later...
Guest martin warne

My great uncle John Percy Warne was briefly stationed at Ludden Camp Buncrana with 4th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry until 24th February 1919 when he died at Londonderry Military Hospital

• 5 years later...