Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LSA SMLE - date of actual manufacture from service numbers?

cooper

A lovely rifle, and I would be interested in seeing a close-up of the volley sight plate if you could oblige?

I wonder what 1st prize was?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve

Herewith sight plate.

1st prize in the 1930's was probably an engraved glass bowl !

Cheers

Manxy

post-28176-0-40231200-1424206458_thumb.j

Thanks for that, I just wished to compare to the rather odd example on my Mk1***

Cheers,

Steve.

Some amazing enfields, i am drooling looking at them! What stories they could tell.

My first one when i was 14 was a deact smle dated 1906. Long since gone but would love to have it back.

On my 1917 lsa i have found some additional marks as pics show, i think proof for 1937 for when new barrel was fitted- crossed flags with letter P underneath?

Also marks on the butt include D? G and a number 9 stamped on side of butt.

On rear of reciever there is E20 under the safety, maybe feint tracess of others.

Next pics shown on next post

Cooper

post-586-0-46145800-1424299983_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-46074400-1424300013_thumb.jpg

On the butt stock, there is the small letter D at the top with a large G further down. The no.9 on the side with the line.on could be a lowercase G to match with the other, probably unlikely though.

All the best

Cooper

post-586-0-88412300-1424300225_thumb.jpg

post-586-0-56329700-1424300341_thumb.jpg

On the butt stock, there is the small letter D at the top with a large G further down.

A letter R the same size as the G surely:

http://postimg.org/image/mjutxgr91/

R_rifle_stock_marking_pic.jpg

Hi Andrew, yes it is a letter R, thanks for that.

Also under the G is a very small letter Y.

Not sure what they mean though

• 3 years later...

I have recently acquired a SMLE No1 mk3 * marked ENFIELD 1915. I am currently working through all of the other fascinating markings which include “AGParker AGP Birmingham England” and “REGULATED BY FULTONS” as well as the standard Sold out oF Service markings etc. 

My rifle’s serial number (matching on sights, breach and receiver) is 92283 K.

my question is that the front hinges swivel band is stamped with 22 along with what looks like TL over 66 over B. Does this mean it was converted to .22?

Many Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, .303 Viantonio said:

I have recently acquired a SMLE No1 mk3 * marked ENFIELD 1915. I am currently working through all of the other fascinating markings which include “AGParker AGP Birmingham England” and “REGULATED BY FULTONS” as well as the standard Sold out oF Service markings etc. 

My rifle’s serial number (matching on sights, breach and receiver) is 92283 K.

my question is that the front hinges swivel band is stamped with 22 along with what looks like TL over 66 over B. Does this mean it was converted to .22?

Many Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony

Probably not. It sounds like it might be part of an inspection mark . I would see no reason to mark a barrel band .22 as it would be unaffected by the conversion.

The action / receiver would be so marked(22) , and the also the bolt head, and probably also the magazine shell (with platform and spring removed). None of my .22 conversions are marked on the bands.

The "Regulated by Fultons" would probably indicate it has been set up for target use after being sold out of service. Such rifles, if they are well maintained, are often very accurate.

On 18/02/2015 at 08:06, Pete_C said:

Hi

Just to confuse matters further, I'll throw my 1915 LSA Mk III into the mix - serial number 9916 and no prefix.

A handsome looking rifle converted to .22RF, most likely after the war, by Parker-Hale. The rifle has all matching numbers, including the original 1914 dated .303 barrel which has been lined with a .22 tube or Parkerifled as it was known.

The engraved brass plate screwed to the butt reveals the rifle was awarded as 3rd Prize in the 1932 Country Life, Public Schools Competition. The butt is from a 'Long Lee Enfield', clearly chosen for its attractive grain.

Maybe the lack of a letter prefix to the serial number ties in with the '1914 - ?' from Stratton, quoted by Chris. A 1915 receiver and 1914 barrel would suggest late 1914, early 1915 manufacture.

Cheers

Manxypost-28176-0-24685900-1424199443_thumb.j

Nothing can be read into out of order s/n prefixes, it was quite common to reallocated numbers & for a while the barrel number was the master number . Fwiw my 1915 LSA converted to a No2 MkIV has a A prefix