Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Artillery "Special Gun"

sotonmate

SotonMate

That's not absolutely clear from Blumberg's history, however the abbreviated WD which he gives does indicate that in January 1917 Major Ledgard was still with No.3 when he got his DSO in the New Year's Honours. By the way, in those same Honours, No.3's Bombr.Pike got the DCM and Lt. Rigby was MiD. Rigby was previously mentioned in April 1915 as going with Ledgard & No.3 to the Dardanelles.

Best regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Learned Peeps

Had to take a look at the Captain's record to tie this up for me. Born on 7 Sep 1891, within 10 crow-flown miles of this desk, at North Stoneham,Hants.

On top of the DSO he was also MID twice.

First entered war as Lt Commander RN with RND at Antwerp 1914. Joined RMA Howitzer Brigade in France (No 3 Howitzer) 26 Mar 1915 to 12 April 1915. Dardanelles 13 April to 16 Sep 1915. Egypt from 17 Sep 1915 to 8 Mar 1916. During this period he was Camp Commandant at Gabbari,Alexandria from Dec 1915 to Feb 1916.

Moved to France with No 3 H as we know. Many operations during the Somme campaign and later at Arras. The gun recorded (WO95/397) as well-used to such a degree that there were problems in consistency and accuracy due both to wear and the use of old American-manufactured ammunition. Also not used as effectively as desired due to occasional lack of fall of shot observation, particularly from the air !

Promoted T/Major 15 Jan 1917.

16 Jun 1917 to hospital In the Field (1 British Red Cross Hospital) no cause noted and 4 Jul 1917 evacuated to London General Hospital,Wandsworth,where he died on 23 Jul 1917.

The gun continued to serve a little longer under the command of Captain TH Percy RM. It's last war rounds were fired on 27 Sep 1918. At 0520 hrs it fired 17 rounds at Flesquieres (one target was a house within which MGs were sited and the gun reports demolishing it with one round),and finally at 0850 hrs 2 rounds at Orival Wood. Due to wear and tear the gun then moved to a repair facility where it underwent an extensive rebuild which took it beyond war use again.

Amen to all that !

Thank you once again for all the contributions,you didn't let me down !

Sotonmate

'Learned Peeps' ????

(by Gad! not another squeak out of you Sir!)

First entered war as Lt Commander RN with RND at Antwerp 1914.

Note - During this operation he served in the Howe Battalion

Sotonmate

Very many thanks for providing all those extra details; fascinating stuff

with best regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hello Alan

In the first two cases, I would say definitely not. The barrels are far too long for a 15-inch howitzer, which is what the "Special Gun" was. They look more like 12" or 14" railway guns.

The third one, possibly but I would say unlikely.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that.

The postcard seller's website does describe them as Coventry 50ton naval guns.

So this is possibly the COW?

Alan.

I would say probably the COW rather than possibly!

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that.

The postcard seller's website does describe them as Coventry 50ton naval guns.

So this is possibly the COW?

Alan.

Alan

Your pictures are of Coventry Ordnance Works. The first one is either a 12 of 14 inch naval gun on a specially constructed (or modified) wagon. It has just left the No 1 Gun Shop in the East Works on Red Lane, and has been brought out of the works at the bottom of Smith St and into the West Works where the line loops around to pass the company headquarters (destroyed WW2) and up a narrow alley at the back of a row of terraced houses whose frontages lie on Ordnance Rd. The gun is crossing the Stoney Stanton Road where there is a small signal box which controls the barriers. The buildings the other side of the line, on the right, are old weavers "top shops". Some of them in the picture were destroyed in November 1940 in the same air raid which destroyed company HQ. The nearest buildings to the photographer still exist, but are minus a storey. The train has just gone onto the Webster's Brick Works line and will continue following the Coventry Canal, and pass along side the Courtaulds factory before joining the Coventry - Nuneaton line near Webster's sidings. From there, the barrel would be taken on to the shipyard or to Boston port In Lincolnshire if it was from a batch to be proofed. From there it would be loaded onto a specially constructed barge and taken down the coast to Freiston Shore where COW had their proof range.

If you would like to send me your e mail address I will send you some photographs of the site today for comparison.

TR

Thanks Terry for your very detailed reply.

The wagon appears to be marked MR for Midland Railway (which would have become LMSR after 1923).

I would be very interested to see your up to date pics, I'll pm you.

Incidentally, they aren't 'my' pictures, as far as I know the original postcards are still available to buy from the dealer who's site I linked to. I don't intend to purchase myself but thought these would be of interest to followers of this thread.

Just to be clear, I have no connection with the seller.

Regards

Alan.

• 3 years later...

Great thread gentlemen

Thanks for sharing all the information