Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

susan kitchen

I recently saw the film Testament of Youth. In one scene i caught a glimpse of the back of Vera Brittain's brother Edward as he got into a truck.

He joined the 10th Sherwood Forresters. I'm sure i saw a black cross high up between his shoulder blades. From the glimpse i caught it looked quite Germanic.

Am i right and if so does anyone know what it 's about?

Sounds like a representation of the regimental badge, worn as an identifier. Quite common.

(Or a target, of course).

Thanks.

I recently saw the film Testament of Youth. In one scene i caught a glimpse of the back of Vera Brittain's brother Edward as he got into a truck.

He joined the 10th Sherwood Forresters. I'm sure i saw a black cross high up between his shoulder blades. From the glimpse i caught it looked quite Germanic.

Am i right and if so does anyone know what it 's about?

They are known as Battle Badges (or Insignia) Susan and began to be used in an organised way before the Battle of the Somme that began on 1st July 1916. They were often positioned on the back and the intent seems to have been so that so-called 'contact patrols' from the Royal Flying Corps could report the progress of the advance as it moved forwards. The badges (often also on the arms) were intended to show regiment, battalion, brigade and division.

Thank you for the information. Think i was a bit startled as if i'm right the cross looked like something a German soldier would have had.

At least it doesn't sound as though i was seeing things.

Thank you for the information. Think i was a bit startled as if i'm right the cross looked like something a German soldier would have had.

At least it doesn't sound as though i was seeing things.

It seems to have taken the form of the cross that was the central feature of the Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) cap badge, Susan.

Some of the Divisional patches normally seen on the top of soldiers arms were worn between the shoulder blades - and hence aren't seen on many photographs!

Steve.