Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Somerset Light Infantry

BMoorhouse

I have re-released 'Forged by Fire - the 7th Somersets in WW1' as a paperback and kindle e-book.

Essentially it is the same as the original hardback edition (with a few corrections) and with mostly 'new' photographs that are more 'personal' to the battalion.

Hi,

I'll be getting your book. I've not seen it before.I have a distant relative who served with the 7th Btn. He is Sgt Wilfred Betty DCM.

I'll look forward to reading it.

All the best

Cam

Cam,

I have just done a quick search, and sad to report, he isn't mentioned in the book. (I don't want you buying it if that is the only reason!)

Do you know when he was awarded the DCM?

Regards,

Brendon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cam and Chris - sorry for not getting back sooner. Cam - I hope the book lives up to expectations. Chris - although there are a lot more photos for the battalion - no photo of Holder I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Brendon.

Just ordered by paperback version Brendon. Look forward to seeing the newer pictures.

• 2 years later...

Brendon - I am trying to find out more information about Sgt Frank Ellis, who features a number of times in your book.  Did you find any more of his correspondence with the Bath papers;  and do you know what his injuries were?

Edited by TomW

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've purchased the book on Kindle, and found it a very interesting read. My interest in the 7th comes from the fact my paternal grandfather was in the 7th. Unfortunately, his military record doesn't survive, and all we've got are the records of his medal entitlements, and his medal card. He was a private, acting lance corporal (at some point), service number 29884, Cyril John Markley, from Cardiff, previously in the Dorsets 29540, but I think this was just a short term thing and he was deployed in the SLI. We've also got one photo, and others who have looked at it (who know better than me) say that the position of the Lewis Gun badge means that he was qualified as a Lewis Gun instructor. He was discharged "To Z Reserve 7/11/19". He was born in March 1899.

Now you know as much of his war service as anyone in the family. I would very much welcome any suggestions about how to dig for more. For example, I'd very much like to know when he joined the 7th and what company he was in, so I can at least place him in the narrative of your book. 

Thank you.

GrampieWW1.jpg