The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nagal11

My great great uncle, Hugh Calvert from Derryboye, Crossgar, Co. Down emigrated to Canada, and within a few months signed on with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He went to Winnipeg in March of 1915 and according to family he served with the "Winnipeg Rifles". He survived the war.

When researching him this morning I found two sets of attestation papers and I am uncertain if this is the same man, with clerical errors, or two different men. The man in Winnipeg is definitely my great great uncle. However, the birthdate on the other attestation paper is the one a family member wrote down 25yrs ago as my great great uncle's birthdate. One lists previous military service and one says no. One attested in Winnipeg and one in Manitoba, at Camp Hughes, the military training area. However, age appears the same, appearance almost the same, and they both have the same father's name and Derryboye as their homeplace. I am wondering if the first attestation was completed in Winnipeg, then Hugh transfered to Fort Hughes and completed another. But why would he?? The Calvert family is huge and has made it difficult to place individuals in the correct line of the family as there are so many of them, all from the same basic area and all with the same family names, to confuse the issue. They are all related from that area. So it can be two men, but I am inclined to think it is the same man. Could anyone please throw any light on this or comment in any way helpful. I have placed links to the documents.

I also wonder why I have several relatives from the Crossgar area who emigrated to Canada and within months sign up in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Why go to the trouble to emigrate and almost immediately sign up in Canada?. Why not just sign up at home with all their other friends and relatives?. Any insight into this would also be appreciated.

2q23i1d.jpg

28qyeja.jpg

mj5s0g.jpg

IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/zlfac3.jpg[/img]

Thank you

Heather

Heather,

Both of these men's service records have been digitized and are avaailable to download from he website. The link is in the top right hand corner of the relevant page in a box. Reading these may anwer your questions, to save time I have added the links below.

Link for 1895 Calvert: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1396-S041

Linkfor 1887 Calvert: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1396-S042

Mark

Mark,

Thank you so much for your help. The link you gave for the 1887 Calvert is indeed my great great uncle and was a wealth of new information. Great to have. However, the other man you provided a link to is a Canadian from Gananoque, Ontario, and no relation to me.

The two attestation papers I put in my initial question had two different birthdates, one in 1887, the man I know to be my uncle and one in 1883, also with very similar information, but possibly another man. So my question remains unanswered. There are many similarities but one was completed in Winnipeg and one in Manitoba. Both are from Derryboye. Any Calvert from that area is related to me. Two different birthdates as noted on the attestation papers, yet the same age as per the medical examination.

I note you are in Australia, and I'm in the US. However, I grew up in N. Ireland and my dad's side of the family is from Crossgar/Derryboye/Killyleagh. This was a small village. (still small, although much bigger than that time). Can you recheck the second set of attestation papers and see if you can come up with anything for that person.......? If indeed it is a different person. I think it has to be the same person.

BTW... you need to click on the "tinypic" link at the bottom of the third document to see the fourth document.

Thanks so much.

Heather

The records I posted links to in my post, are the only two Hugh Calverts coming up on the website.

The Canadian Archives consider the paperwork to relate to the one person, as both are available on the one page: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=82503.

Other than that info I am at the moment unable to go further. I shall check other sources later today.

The record, link for 1895 Calvert: http://central.bac-l...F&id=B1396-S041, as you said applies to a totally different man - I didn't look at them.

Mark

Heather,

I have just looked at the 1911 Canada Census, is this Hugh?

Name: H G Calvert Gender: Male Marital Status: Single Age: 25 Birth Date: Nov 1885 Birth Place: Ontario Relation to Head of House: Lodger Race or Tribe: Scotch (Scotish) Province: Manitoba District: Winnipeg City District Number: 24 Sub-District: 40 - Winnipeg Sub-District Number: 40 Place of Habitation:

435 William

I realise it says Scottish, but the accent may have fooled people. Image: http://interactive.ancestry.com/8947/e079_e001954348/3135752?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3d1911canada%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3dHugh%26gsln%3dCalvert%26msbdy%3d1887%26msbpn__ftp%3dDerrboy%252c%2bCrossgar%252c%2bCo.%2bDerry%252c%2bIreland%26cpxt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3del4%26cp%3d3%26pcat%3d35%26fh%3d0%26h%3d3135752%26recoff%3d%26ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

In the 1921 Canada Census,

Name: Hugh Calvert Gender: Male Marital Status: Single Age: 34 Birth Year: abt 1887 Birth Place: Ireland Relation to Head of House: Lodger Father Birth Place: Ireland Mother Birth Place: Ireland Year of Immigration: 1914 Racial or Tribal Origin: Irish Province or Territory: Manitoba District: Winnipeg Centre District Number: 38 Sub-District: Winnipeg (City) Sub-District Number: 1 City, Town or Village: Winnipeg City (Ward Two) Section Number: 102 McDonald Ave Municipality: Winnipeg Occupation: Electric Operator Income: 1327

Image: http://interactive.ancestry.com/8991/1921_028-E002888989/7871332?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26db%3dcancen1921%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-d%26gsfn%3dHugh%26gsln%3dCalvert%26msbdy%3d1887%26msbpn__ftp%3dDerrboy%252c%2bCrossgar%252c%2bCo.%2bDerry%252c%2bIreland%26cpxt%3d1%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3del4%26cp%3d3%26pcat%3d35%26fh%3d0%26h%3d7871332%26recoff%3d%26ml_rpos%3d1&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

The confusion about Manitoba and Winnipeg is easily explained, and I wish I knew more Canadian Geography as this would have been solved a bit earlier; Winnipeg is within Manitoba, and the forms may refer to the same centre.

Heather, I have just looked at the second set of Service Records (Calvert 1895), in this case Hugh was born in Ontario, Canada.

Mark

Mark,

The second record, with the birth year abt. 1887is him I'm fairly sure. The date of entry is wrong though as he entered on 13th March 1915, I have a copy of that document. The bit I don't understand is why there are two attestation papers with two different dates? Also one mentions prior military service and the other doesn't.

I had many relatives serving and have never found more than one attestation paper. It was a very big family so a lot of them had the same names etc. and it can be confusing trying to piece it together. Many of them served. There were 11 children in Hugh's family and a huge extended family. Makes it hard to track them sometimes because you can't tell who is who....they all have the same family names to make it complicated. This is definitely my great grandmother's brother though. I knew the area he came from very well growing up and my great grandparents lived to be very old so were around when I was growing up.

Thanks for all your help.

Heather

• 6 years later...

Hi Mark

Hugh Calvert is my great uncle… my dad was named after him - have you any more details about him? Like his date of death and location?

thanks, look forward to hearing from you

Jeff

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Nagal11 last visited the forum in 2020, hopefully my tag will alert them, or if not you can try sending a private message. If they’re still using the same address, they will receive a notification. @BFBSMis still active on the forum.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, JeffC said:

Hi Mark

Hugh Calvert is my great uncle… my dad was named after him - have you any more details about him? Like his date of death and location?

thanks, look forward to hearing from you

Jeff

Jeff,

Unfortunately, I am unable to help with the date of death. Hopefully Heather can assist.

You could possibly contact your local Canadian Legion branch who may be able to assist you.

Mark

Hi Mark

unfortunstely Heather is no longer with us… if you were corresponding with the Heather I think it was 😪

jeff

3 hours ago, JeffC said:

Hi Mark

unfortunstely Heather is no longer with us… if you were corresponding with the Heather I think it was 😪

jeff

Sorry to hear that. My condolences. 

Hi Mark

I’d spoken to Heather a few times over the past lot of years… had her on Facebook too - never met her… believe she would have liked to have come home to Northern Ireland to see the place again… but it wasn’t to be

I have been trying to make a family tree and she helped me out a few times and I got information for her

I’m living about 12 miles from Crossgar

Hope all is well with you?

Jeff 

All is good thank you. 

I am in Melbourne, Australia. 

Living in interesting times.

Good luck with the research.

You may find help with information on Hugh here: Home - The Royal Canadian Legion