Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Interpreter

Cameronian Volunteer

Does anyone know of any records of French interpreters working with the British Forces?

I am trying to find out information about Sergeant Major Cheramy, who served as interpreter with 5th Scottish Rifles from 16th November 1914 to 10th July 1915 when, according to the War Diary, he transferred to GHQ following a promotion.

Not quite an answer to your query, but a lecturer at St.Luke's College, Exeter, was called up and served as an interpreting officer with the 9th Lancers (M. le Capitaine G Latore) in 1914. I wonder how many other teachers of French living in the UK were serving with the British forces.

Edwin

Check the MIC's - interpreters appear to have been awarded BWM's (I found 2 such records for a Greek and a Frenchman). The MIC probably won't tell you much more than you already know, though it may confirm his French army service details so perhaps your next step would be to try the French archives.

Thanks for the suggestions.

There doesn't seem to be any record of him on the medal rolls and the MICs. The battalion history refers to him as "Our Parisian jeweller friend, Sergeant Major Cheramy, our interpreter and French liaison officer". I am working on the assumption that he was a French officer.

Sadly my French is fairly limited. I was hoping for a website I could search, and then get a friend to translate. I am trying to find my way around the only site I can find: http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/, but a simple search for "Cheramy" clearly won't get me anywhere.

I was just hoping someone might be aware of some British sources, or could guide me with the French ones.

• 4 years later...

His only mention in UK records is on a list of Military Cross recipients. (War Office list 49 dated 1 December 1919) This is in a paper file at Kew, and is the second file concerning lists of French combatants awarded medals by the War Office in WW1.

His MC was discovered from interpreting his French <<matricule militaire>>  record which is online. Further assistance was forthcoming with regard to other genealogical details.
https://forum.pages14-18.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=70919

In addition to the <<matricule militaire>>, I believe there are supplemental paper files for most interpreters that have survived (but not Jacques Vaché sadly), which can be consulted in person at the Château de Vincennes.