Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War. BBC series continues

tootrock

The BBC are continuing the showing of the 1964 "The Great War" series tonight (February 8th) at 7pm on BBC 4.

Tonight will be episode 7 (of 26).

Martin

Bl**dy repeats.

Bl**dy repeats.

........but great for those who may not have watched it.

Anne

Very interesting clip in the programme, which at the time was covering the shell shortage in 1915.

It showed a notice, somewhere in France, which highlighted the importance of not wasting shells, and to salvage unused ammunition.

In fact it listed the price of some shells!

Each round for an 18 Pr. cost £4

And a round for a 9.2" Howitzer was £23

I know it depends on what price index you use, but RPI prices have increased approximately 100fold since then, making each 9.2" shell the equivalent of £2,300 today.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Anne. Just watched this on iPlayer - excellent documentary with Michael Redgrave narration. Sorry to have missed the first 6..! Didn't Lloyd George turn the un-preparedness around..?

Mike

Sometime last year a link was posted on the forum to view the whole series online, for free - I watched a couple of episodes, but despite a good search I can't find the thread. I'm sure someone else will be able to do better than me.

William

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Mike

I can not find anywhere that the series is available on DVD. Any advice appreciated.

I can not find anywhere that the series is available on DVD. Any advice appreciated.

This is it Pete, but I don't remember it being this expensive when I got it a couple of years ago.

Anne

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-Great-Complete-Series/dp/B0000634BA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice. Isn't it awful when you click on the link and it shows the DVD and you realise you have it. Oops!

Pete

It was not too many years ago that the whole series was given away free by the Daily Mail. Considering the likely number released they should appear on auction sites at low cost but ebay shows a considerable profit is sought at the moment with £40+ being asked.

Kevin