Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Royal Scots - Ypres 23rd April 1915

I wonder if anyone has any information on the action seen by the Royal Scots On 23rd April 1915.

My grandfather - Pte Thomas Edgar Rutherford - was injured in the action and hence I'm keen to see if anyone has any information they can share on the events of the day. In particular any references to casualty lists, battalion/ regimental diaries etc would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Hi James

As well as Robert's excellent suggestion about getting the war diary, Major Ewing's History of the Royal Scots 1914-19 has several pages on the 9th Royal Scots activities in April 1915. If you haven't got access to a copy, e-mail me at william"at"williamrevels.com (putting@ instead of "at") and I can e-mail you scans of the pages.

William

Hi William and thanks so much.

I have replied direct to your email - from mine.

Your help is much appreciated.

All the very best with your research and the book.

Regards James

Its a pleasure James - hopefully you will find the scans when you wake up in the morning! I have had so much help from forum members over the past five years with scans, photos, an nuggets of information, that I am pleased when I get the opportunity to help someone else.

Best wishes,

William

James, William, Robert

Being interested in what happened in that period (end of April 1915, after the German gas attack of 22 April), in Boezinge (Boesinghe), my village, just north of Ypres, I am wondering (not being able to see the War Diary) : where were 9/Royal Scots at the time ? Was it north(east) of Ypres ? South (St. Elooi ?)

Aurel

Hi Aurel

On the 22nd April 1915 9th Royal Scots left their camp at Vlamertinghe, marched through Ypres (which was under heavy bombardment, although they suffered no casualties), turned left out of Menin Gate and moved into position in Potijze Wood, then attacked in a northeasterly direction, towards Pilkem, chasing off the Germans. In due course they returned to Potijze, were relieved on the 23rd April, but were back in the front line on the 27th April, where they were variously at Potijze and Sanctuary Wood.

So they didn't get as far north as Boesinghe, but weren't too far away.

William

Thanks, William.

I feel ... relieved. For as to Boezinge I hadn't come across them in that period, and feared I had missed them.

But the situation (right after the gas attack) was chaotic.

Aurel

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Robbie, have you photographs/scans of all the pages of these 9th RS diaries? They would be fantastic to see. Thanks.

For Thomas Edgar Rutherford, Pte, 2258, I have the following:-

On George Heriot's Roll of Honour (1921) he is listed as 06-08 (years of attendance), wounded, prisoner

https://archive.org/details/georgeheriotssch1921geor

The Scotsman reported he was wounded: Thomas E. Rutherford, D Coy. Wounded at Hill 60, Ypres on 23rd April. Son of Robert Rutherford, 7 Ryehill Terrace, Leith. Employed as clerk with Messrs McVitie & Price, Edin. The Scotsman 7 May 1915

In the Battalion War Diary he is listed as taken prisoner 5 January 1916

John Duncan's excellent site has a newspaper clipping and photograph of him, "…missing, now a prisoner of war at …ssen, Germany. His parents reside at 7 Ryehill Terrace, Leith." Dated 18/2/16.

http://www.newbattleatwar.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=75117053

We can find his Prisoner of War record as: Rutherford, Thomas Edgar, Pte, No. 2258, Veaux. (Somme), PA4481 11.3.16, taken at Vaux. Communique famille 31.3.16.

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/188033/3/2/

The time at Vaux, patrolling the marshes, makes for an interesting read. If you want the excerpt from the War Diary, let me know.

Regards, Neill

(Researching 9th RS and interested in any and all material)

It looks like Boesinghe/Boezinge stayed behind the French part of the line (just!)

Ypres15 2a