Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this? - France or England?

PLGr

I agree - but I've read plenty of memoires where gambling on an industrial scale occurred. I'm ignorant - but is crown and anchor a card game?

3 minutes ago, geraint said:

I agree - but I've read plenty of memoires where gambling on an industrial scale occurred. I'm ignorant - but is crown and anchor a card game?

No it’s a game of specially marked dice used with a marked out board, or more commonly a printed cloth that was easier to pack away.

46128EBB-CAD2-4658-818A-EC70F40AF618.jpeg

6B490BA1-ACAE-48D1-9089-E2E8FA6793EB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ahhh! Brilliant. Thanks very much for that Frogsmile! Apologies to the OP if there's a slight thread hi-jack. I'm sure the lads in the photo would have known both cards and C and A.

48 minutes ago, geraint said:

Ahhh! Brilliant. Thanks very much for that Frogsmile! Apologies to the OP if there's a slight thread hi-jack. I'm sure the lads in the photo would have known both cards and C and A.

I’m glad to help and just to clarify I suspect that you and I both know that gambling out of sight in a dugout, is very different to gambling with cash in full view on the table in a YMCA hut in a Stationary Hospital, with duty orderly sergeants on the prowl.

Edited by FROGSMILE

:thumbsup: Do you know! The more I look, many of the tables appear to be playing cards. It seems to me that all the men were busy doing whatever they were doing, then suddenly responded to the photographer's shout, turned around and FLASH the picture was taken. Doesn't seem to be a posed picture at all!

Edited by geraint

43 minutes ago, geraint said:

:thumbsup: Do you know! The more I look, many of the tables appear to be playing cards. It seems to me that all the men were busy doing whatever they were doing, then suddenly responded to the photographer's shout, turned around and FLASH the picture was taken. Doesn't seem to be a posed picture at all!

Yes it’s clear from that photo and others like it that playing cards, C&A, draughts and chess was normal in YMCA rest rooms and hospital convalescent centres.  It’s just the overt presence of money on the tables (and thus gambling) that would be illegal. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

True apologies to OP - going off here - but to both Frogsmile and myself (both Royal Welsh Fusiliers aficionados), David Jones writes twice about the game C and A in his famous poem In Parenthesis. One mention being attributed to a certain Dai Greatcoat!