Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM W Hedley 2/4 Ox & Bucks

inkerman

Hello the forum

I am trying to discover a little more about this man. I know that he was awarded a DCM, of which I have no detail, and that he had served in the 1/2 Bucks before he moved to the 2/4 Ox & Bucks. If anyone has a copy of the war diaries for either Bn? Grateful for any help.

Richard

gazetted 11.3.20

2/4th Btn

Would this be CSM William Hedley, 5373884, born Aug 1883, enlisted 8/4/1902, discharged 7/4/1923.

Former Vol Bn. Northumberland Fus; West Africa, 11 Feb 1912 - 19 May 1915; transfd. as 4653 Sgt (t/WOII), 3rd Bn Coldstream Gds; France & Flanders, 21 Dec 1915 - 27 May 1919; into 1st Bn Coldstream Gds; transfd. as 34123 C/Sgt, into O&BLI, 25 Nov 1917; to 2/1st Bucks Bn; France & Flanders; to 2/4th Bn, F & F; wounded slightly (gas shell), 8 Aug 1818; to Egypt; MID (Lon Gaz, 22 May 1917); M: DCM (Lon Gaz, 3 June 1919), 1915 Star, War & Vict & LSGC (AO of April 1921) (SOFO - Townsend Coll.); dischgd. to Pension, of 5s 5d per day.
Res: K2 Married Quarters, Moore Bks, Shorncliffe.
DCM Citation reads:’He has always set a very fine example of smartness and discipline to all ranks under the most trying conditions. On several occasions his coolness and steadiness under fire has been most noticeable. On consecutive nights during April and May 1918, near Robceq, he, by the able execution of his duties, rendered valuable service to his battalion.’
Employed as a Miner; husband of Hilda Cecilia (nee Seward); married, RC Church of St Switham, Southsea, Hants, 24 July 1915; 1 son, Basil William John, born Southsea, 24 June 1916; 1 daughter, Mary Agnes, born Limerick, 11 Oct 1921.

same citation quoted as my link above so same person as the numbers match

As I have a note of the MID seems he won that with the CG

as he was 1st Btn I will look him up further...

MID was Kings Birthday honours award by Lt Col Gregge-Hopwood on the 3rd March 1917

also awarded a divisional parchment certificate

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou all for the helpful replies. It has given a boost to where to look next for this story. His great nephew who asked me to enquire, is very grateful indeed. I have earned a few beers.

Richard