The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Higham, QMS Royal Inniskillin Dragoons, MiD

PaulC78

Hi folks, can anyone find an MIC or other record to match this obituary? Leonard Higham was apparently a QMS with the Royal Inniskillin Dragoons during WW1, he served overseas and was mentioned in despatches. But I've had a good search on Ancestry and the National Archives website and I'm drawing a blank. The obit is dated 1974, so he would have been born in 1890.

Cheers!

post-89772-0-52270700-1423210256_thumb.j

I can't help witht he question, but pedantically, the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons weren't "Royal" as the paper has it. The current regiment is the Royal Dragoon Guards, whose museum is in York http://www.rdgmuseum.org.uk/. They might be able to help.

cant find any MIC either - was Higham always his name ?

maybe he was in a part of the world that didnt qualify and he got no medals (hence MIC) - the regiment was in India I believe pre war

and a class B mention isnt gazetted ?

Coldstreamers last post must be the answer, I have checked every LG entry with the name Higham and nothing has turned up.

maybe he was in a part of the world that didnt qualify and he got no medals (hence MIC) - the regiment was in India I believe pre war

Had a look at the 6th Dragoons (A to D Squadrons) in the 1911 India Census but didn't see him there.

And this you may have seen on Ancestry is the nearest name, age & place in the 1911 England census:

Name: Leonard Higham

Age in 1911: 20

Estimated birth year: abt 1891

Relation to Head: Son

Birth Place: Warrington, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Warrington

County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 2 Sankey Brook Mill Lane

Marital Status: Single

Registration district: Warrington

Registration District Number: 459

Sub-registration district: Warrington

ED, institution, or vessel: 35

Piece: 23165

Household Members:

Name Age

James Higham 65

Ellen Higham 61

Leonard Higham 20

Mike

Mike. That is him, but where on earth is his service information ? Married Dec qtr 1921 so doubtful his occupation would have read "soldier", so that would not help. Ralph.

Obit specifically says he served overseas. Even if in India wouldn't he have recd the BWM even if not the Victy? Should be a MIC to cover issue of it. Very puzzling. Where was the Regtl Depot? If in Ireland I guess that could be counted as "overseas" & no medals earned. Good luck on this one!

As Kevin has indicated T1/2057 has both an MIC (under Leonard Higham) and a MID card mispelt as C Higham - these are available on Ancestry. He disembarked in Egypt in March 1915. There are also service records for Leonard Higham 2057 - born St Barnabus (in or near to the town of Warrington), Lancashire. The address of 2 Mill Lane, Sankey Brook, matches the 1911 census above.

Mike

Thanks for all of the comments, I've found the records on Ancestry suggested above by Kevin and Mike. No mention of the Inniskillin Dragoons in the service record (so far as I can see), but the personal details seem to fit with the census and obituary so it looks like this is my man.

Appreciate the help!