The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A very basic question re medals and service abroad please

Guest JuliaGower

Guest JuliaGower

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can tell me if my great grandfather, Reuben Greenberg, went overseas during the first world war. He joined relatively late as he was a (quite old!) married father, and went into the King's Liverpool Regiment, 23rd Works Coy (from Ancestry), and transferred to a Labour Corps. Information about the 23rd Works Coy is a bit sketchy so from that I assumed that he hadn't gone overseas. He died of the flu epidemic in 1919.

However, I now have an image of a medal card which says he received the British and Victory medals. The Great War website makes it sound like he would only have received these medals if he served overseas. Is that correct, or did everyone receive medals for service per se, whether at home or abroad?

Any clarification would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Julia

He should have served overseas.

Go to Long Long Trail, top left of this page and search medals.

Hi

CWGC has this - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/371307/GREENBERG,%20REUBEN

As above - check the LLT - it says you only got those medals for serving overseas, not in Britain.

As it appears he served only in Britain, he would not be entitled to any medals.

The medal card you have is for a person of the same name, but different service number (also in the Liverpool regiment) -

Name:

Reuben Greenberg

Regiment or Corps:

The King's (Liverpool) Regiment

Regimental Number:

5356, 202417

and he only served in the Liverpool, no mention of other regiments.

Yours was this - Service No:84527

So 2 different people.

regards

Robert

2 medal cards for Reuben Greenberg show 5356 and 202417 Kings Liverpool.

One death record CWGC shows son of Samuel and Rebecca of Manchester.

Guest JuliaGower

Ah Ha!

Thank you Robert, you are right. I think that we are talking about two different people. I had just assumed that the numbers would have changed as he moved from the Works to the Labour company.

Many thanks for clearing that up (and saving me hours of digging about!)

Julia

Register of Effects shows Reuben died on Leicester Road Military Hospital, Salford. His Widow, Rebecca received his effects 4/1/7. He had been posted to 488 H.S.E.Co (Home Service Employment Company??)

CWGC Summary

Rank: Private Service No: 84527 Date of Death: 18/02/1919 Age: 33 Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 23rd Works Coy transf to (234169) Labour Corps Grave Reference: 3234. Cemetery: BLACKLEY JEWISH CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Greenberg; husband of Rebecca Greenberg, of 50, Walter St., Hightown, Salford, Manchester.