The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Au Bureau bar/grill Arras

Petroc

Ten of us raining ourselves on the unfortunate citizens of Arras next month; Cheap, but decent pub-grub always welcomed, and though I have joyous experiences of the best food Arras can offer this year everyone is on a tight budget; is the above worth a visit?

It was OK last time I was there. Must say that for the prices, excellent food and beer, and the atmosphere, I prefer the Café Leffe. It's on the same square, facing the town hall.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, chaps,

We've done Café Leffe on numerous occasions, absolutely nothing wrong with the place whatsoever (in fact, darned good-value-for money beer and grub)but just thought about trying somewhere else this year. No problems with the ale-induced stagger back as we'll be staying at the Ibis as usual!

Au Bureau is fine as long as you're not looking for haute cuisine. Nothing wrong with it if you're looking for pub grub and they also have nice beers.

Another alternative is the place advertising 'the best ribs in town' on the main square. About as far from the Ibis as cafe leffe but turn left out of the door instead of right!

Paul

Best ribs I have had were in a little place off a narrow street near the Hotel Univers - the turning to it, on the left, is a bit down the hill from the Bank of France and I think the next one after the turning for the Univers. Not cheap but very good indeed - those I know who live in the town say that they consider this one to be better than the one Paul mentions above.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...after all that we didn't actually make it into Au Bureau..!!!... I'd half forgotten just how much the locals in the Arras area like to come out to play at a weekend and the place was so rammed on both nights that there was literally 'no room at the inn' (for any Pals who have not yet had the pleasure of visiting Arras, let it be known that heavy eating and heavy drinking on a Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon is by no means the exclusive preserve of the Brits! That being said, it was great fun mingling with the locals once again and the vast majority of those we met in bars were INSTANTLY and UNQEUESTIONABLY respectful when they spotted the poppies, RBL wristbands, etc, that various members of our party donned.

So, in the end we ate the first night back in Café Leffe (which was itself busy) and on the second eve munched a wonderfully tasty freshly-cooked pizza in Le Montesilvano on the Grand Place...great value for those of us on a budget!

As for the battlefields...well, amazing again, my first visit to Bullecourt, where in the village itself the refurbished museum is superb, a tribute to the founder and far more worthy of wider publicity than the coverage it currently receives; the a walk on the Wancourt sector, guided by Paul's book, with a welcome ham, egg, cheese and wine picnic at Bootham Cemetery on the way. Still amazing that, with the hum of the autoroute in the background, this still semi-rural area produces so much of the awful, yet utterly fascinating, debris of the conflict; in the course of our stroll we must have come across at least five unexploded shells, dozens of shell cases, shell-shards in their hundreds, two wonderfully-preserved fuses, barbed-wire pickets, pieces of light railway, so on, so forth.

A truly wonderful trip

(and it was a nice gesture from one of the lads to leave a nip of Scotch from his hip-flask near the graves of some Royal Scots Fusiliers!)

Andy

Sounds great Andy. Thanks for all the info. I will be there in September...

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful blue skies. Makes all the difference

TT

Blue skies certainly did help the trip along, TT! So many times over the last 18 years have I experienced the best and worst of the weather in this part of France and Belgium, even though I have always visited at or around the same time of the calendar year; shirt-sleeves and shorts or fleece-lined jackets and hats...who knows?!!!

I agree. We were also blessed this March but four seasons in a hour is common. Had -5 to 70 plus in various March trips.

TT