Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bond. Felsted School Essex

Yeomanterry

CGM, thank you yes I started a manual search of the titles in the chronicle on Seax just to get the files to be able to visit and read, but as you say it is a bit of a slog. But soon realised how difficult it would be.

Ken .....................you didn't happen to find if he was a groom at the school in Rottingdean did you. He might have transferred on the old boy networks so to speak. I will follow that line and have a look at the Rottingdean school records.

Anyone has any more ideas please put them on, as I said this one is tough.

Many thanks for all your efforts and suggestions so far.

all the best

Terry.

Terry - the current head is a good friend of mine. If you want to pose any questions to him, let me know.

Best regards.

SPN
Maldon.

Given the apparent casual nature of the employment of servants I wonder if the 'C' is accurate (my father in law was known as Jim all his life but his initials were W.H.!).

Apart from the potential conundrum of someone being known by one forename in one context and by a different one in another, there is the possibility of a manuscript initial being misread. A 'G' could be misread as 'C'.

Well, starting with the most basic elements that we have here:

A man with the surname 'Bond' was killed (implying that he was a serving soldier at the time of his death, as opposed to having been discharged), supposedly in 1917, and apparently while serving with the RFA.

According to CWGC there are 10 men who match this profile, only 5 of whom were Gunners. Maybe a quick check of SDGW will reveal that one or other of them had a connection with the Felsted area.

Gunners

Reginald Edward BOND, 950031 (next of kin from London according to CWGC)

Jack BOND, 91984 (next of kin from Huntingdonshire according to CWGC)

Harold Andrew BOND, 163548 (born in Leicester, next of kin from Sussex according to CWGC)

W. BOND, 34371

A. BOND, 159994

Driver

Thomas BOND, 865644 (next of kin from Aveley, Essex, according to CWGC)

a/Bombadier

F. BOND, 76618 (from Devon according to CWGC)

Sergeant

H.J. BOND, L/26982

Thomas BOND, 25721 (next of kin from Cardiff according to CWGC)

Fitter Sergeant

J. BOND, 740274

If, however, the correct date was not 1917 but 1914 (as per the Essex roll of honour - or whatever it was) then that leaves 2 possibilities, neither of whom were Gunners:

Driver William Henry BOND, 35044, died on 8 August 1914 at Woolwich

Bdr. William James BOND, 30588, killed in France, next of kin from Birmingham

For the sake of completeness, here's the other Bond's listed on CWGC as having died while serving with the RFA:

2/Lt F.H.B. BOND (from Farnboro', son of a Major-General - and overall very unlikely to have been a groom)

Gnr. Frank BOND, 110450

Gnr. W.H. BOND, L/31473

Gnr. T. BOND, 42728

Gnr. Patrick BOND, 60868 (from Ireland, next of kin from Coventry)

Dvr. G.F. BOND, 105076

Gnr. G.F. BOND, 36197

Gnr. W.J. BOND, 133242

Gnr. D.R. BOND, 879

Gnr. Samuel Thomas BOND, 119903 (from Ireland)

Gnr. William Edward BOND, 124692 (from south London)

Dvr. G.F. BOND, 36824

Dvr. S.P. BOND, 207979

Bdr. Sidney BOND, 67869

BSM. J.T. BOND (M.I.D. x2), 13841

2/Lt. G.S. BOND (from Sunderland)

2/Lt. Frank Bertram BOND (from Surrey)

Let's assume that it isn't one of the officers. Otherwise, I would imagine that a quick perusal of these various names on SDGW should help to narrow the field considerably.

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 19:10, Yeomanterry said:

CGM, thank you yes I started a manual search of the titles in the chronicle on Seax just to get the files to be able to visit and read, but as you say it is a bit of a slog. But soon realised how difficult it would be.

Ken .....................you didn't happen to find if he was a groom at the school in Rottingdean did you. He might have transferred on the old boy networks so to speak. I will follow that line and have a look at the Rottingdean school records.

Anyone has any more ideas please put them on, as I said this one is tough.

Many thanks for all your efforts and suggestions so far.

all the best

Terry.

Hi Terry - my apologies for coming late to this thread but have only just come across it. This man Bond has interested me in my own research from several years ago so what I concluded then may be helpful though I am not saying it is correct. It is one more avenue for you to consider:-

I think Magnumbellum is correct and the initial is G not C. In a local newspaper from the time an RAF Air Mechanic G Bond was reported as killed at the 1st Aeroplane Supply Depot Repair Park on 24/9/1918. A large number of others died in the same incident. He was reported as being from Colchester and there is a G Bond on the Town Hall Roll of Honour. Felsted School is an easily travelable distance from Colchester but also as a servant he could have lived in residence there and returned home to Colchester on occasional weekends. So at the time I came to the conclusion that this was the man. Transcription errors in documents could easily mistake G for C, and RAF for RFA, though I couldn't see a solution to Felsted School stating he was a Gnr and being killed in 1917. But as you can see from all the replies you have received there is nothing for C Bond RFA in 1917 which fits. At the time I didn't take my conclusions any further but thinking about it now - his RAF Papers should be at TNA and a close perusal of the Felsted School Mags for the period 1911 to 1917 might reveal more info. Hope this helps - Doug

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 01:23, yeadon said:

Hi Terry - my apologies for coming late to this thread but have only just come across it. This man Bond has interested me in my own research from several years ago so what I concluded then may be helpful though I am not saying it is correct. It is one more avenue for you to consider:-

I think Magnumbellum is correct and the initial is G not C. In a local newspaper from the time an RAF Air Mechanic G Bond was reported as killed at the 1st Aeroplane Supply Depot Repair Park on 24/9/1918. A large number of others died in the same incident. He was reported as being from Colchester and there is a G Bond on the Town Hall Roll of Honour. Felsted School is an easily travelable distance from Colchester but also as a servant he could have lived in residence there and returned home to Colchester on occasional weekends. So at the time I came to the conclusion that this was the man. Transcription errors in documents could easily mistake G for C, and RAF for RFA, though I couldn't see a solution to Felsted School stating he was a Gnr and being killed in 1917. But as you can see from all the replies you have received there is nothing for C Bond RFA in 1917 which fits. At the time I didn't take my conclusions any further but thinking about it now - his RAF Papers should be at TNA and a close perusal of the Felsted School Mags for the period 1911 to 1917 might reveal more info. Hope this helps - Doug

Hi Terry - me again, having thought again about the above posting to you I decided to pursue it a bit more. Checked Felsted School's own archives and they have recorded this man as H C BOND ex servant at the school, died 1917, came from Copford near Colchester, but was killed with an INFANTRY REGT (previously served Essex Regt) and not RFA. Hope this helps - Doug