Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Shadow Card" M.I.C.?

Derek Black

Having trawled through many medal index cards in researching a battalion or two recently i've noticed an odd card that stands our from the rest.

It's not the usual doubler, spelling varient copies, star/BV&WM seperate entries, dodgy admin codes or SWB cards.

It's labelled a "shadow card" stamped with a 1978 date. It looks hand drawn.

1273 William Baxter Smith, 1st Black Watch

Anyone know why one would be made an what it was for? Bearing in mind the original MIC exists.

Cheers,
Derek.

Hi

I wonder if they pulled the original card out on the date stamped on the other one, for some purpose, and that was done as a replacement until the original was put back?

It is the first time I have seen that. Note it does not have all the details the original has.

regards

Robert

So two more show up when searching for "shadow" eh?

Lt Slade being the other.

The chap above you have linked to has on his card "found and returned.... 23.3.1972" i wonder if it's relating to lost medals returned to the MoD?

Derek.

Hi,

I remember this was a common practice when I was working with paper based filing systems in the days before computers.

When a file/card was removed it was replaced with a "placer" card so colleagues knew the file was out and in use.

Steve Y

Thanks for that Steve,

So possibly when medal inquiries were being made many years later, going by the stamped date on one of them?

Cheers,
Derek.

• 1 year later...