The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mitchinson: amazing offer!

Steven Broomfield

When I arrived home from work this evening, the current copy of Lord Gnome's organ was waiting for me, and with it was included a newspaper-style book list from the Academic Book Collection. Scanning through it, my eyes alighted on this:

http://www.academicbookcollection.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=HA09

Amazon have it listed for £74.00; I've just ordered it for a total of £16.90!

Fill your boots.

Thanks for the info - sounds good to me.

I suspect the price differential shown in the link is a marketing ploy - let potential purchasers think they are getting a real bargain. However, the sale price is reasonable.

TR

Terry, here's the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Englands-Last-Hope-Territorial-1908-14/dp/0230574548/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423078885&sr=1-1&keywords=mitchinson+england%27s+last+hope

It looks pukka. The only sleight-of-hand I can see is it being soft-covered (there's no indication).

Steven, thanks. I do have a copy as it happens, bought some time ago. £74 is a bit of a joke though, that is if you have a sense of humour and an equally comical pocket of course.

TR

I get their circulars regularly, they have some amazing bargains. A year or so back I purchased Rats Alley from them for £7. I rarely fail to purchase several books from each edition of their circular. I bought Mitchinson along with several other books before Christmas. I have always found their offers genuine. Other booksellers are available.

Hardback copy arrived today. Thanks again for the info.

Hoping mine will arrive today then.

And it has!

My copy arrived through the letter box this morning. Thanks for the "heads up" Steven!
All I have to do is find a few minutes to pick it up and have a browse. Unfortunately, with one serious ill dog; another with an ear infection and my Wife in bed, coughing and spluttering with a severe cold, I don't think I will get much of a chance...... :angry2:

Sepoy

Falklands Official History too at a bargain price, searched for the Indian Corps, got up a pop up Karmasutura......

Now that really does sound like a euphemism.

Mine arrived today, together with Andy Simpson's 'Directing Operations' . Both hardback copies, I was surprised, and pleased, to discover. Very good savings on both books, especially Mr Simpson's, which is available new on Amazon at just over £600, plus shipping, of course!

'England's Last Hope' sounds like an interesting book. Despite the title, does it include anything on the organisation of Scottish Territorials?

Regards,

Alf McM

Mine arrived today, together with Andy Simpson's 'Directing Operations' . Both hardback copies, I was surprised, and pleased, to discover. Very good savings on both books, especially Mr Simpson's, which is available new on Amazon at just over £600, plus shipping, of course!

I have ordered Mitchison and Simpson too, plus Kipling's Irish Guards History, and am very much looking forward to their arrival in about 45 mins time if the courier's text message is to be believed.

• Admin

'England's Last Hope' sounds like an interesting book. Despite the title, does it include anything on the organisation of Scottish Territorials?

Regards,

Alf McM

The title is taken from a music hall song in 1913 performed in a review in Manchester. The book, which is an absorbing read and has been reviewed elsewhere on the forum, uses Scottish references as well as English ones to reference a point e.g. billeting in Edinburgh or mobilization but is not organised geographically and as there were more County Associations in England examples are drawn from there to illustrate the organisation and equipping of a TF unit.

Ken

I'm looking forward to my commission cheque.

I'm looking forward to my commission cheque.

There is one in the post with lots of noughts!

Just in case any one else is thinking of ordering the book it is now out of stock, although still showing on their website.

John