Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Gallipoli Books

green_acorn

For those interested Harvey Broadbent's work based on his teams access to, and translation of, the original Ottoman records are now being published. It will be interesting to read one and see how the MG's at the time of the first landings thread evolves. Two books the first:

Gallipoli The Turkish Defence - the Story from Turkish Documents

ISBN: 9780522866643

ISBN-10: 0522866646
Audience: General
Format: Hardcover
Language: English
Number Of Pages: 528
Published: 2nd February 2015
Publisher: Melbourne University Press
Dimensions (cm): 24.4 x 17.0 x 4.6
Weight (kg): 1.6

Publishers description:

The people of both Australia and Turkey attach meaning to their national identities and ideals as a result of the Gallipoli campaign. Gallipoli: The Turkish Defence is the first and only book to reveal new details of the Turkish point of view of the conflict, revealing how the Turks reacted and defended Gallipoli and how they succeeded in forcing the Allied forces to withdraw.

Author and Turkish language expert Harvey Broadbent spent five years in Turkish military and other archives to unearth the Turkish story. He had access to an extensive collection of previously unresearched documents, ranging from official government records to military and personal diaries and correspondence of soldiers. The result is the fullest possible and most comprehensive account of the Turkish defence yet produced, which fills a huge gap in the history of the Gallipoli Campaign.

The second book, a paperback, is due in a few week:

Defending Gallipoli The Turkish Story

ISBN: 9780522864564

ISBN-10: 0522864562
Audience: General
Format: Paperback
Language: English
Available: 1st March 2015
Publisher: Melbourne University Press

Publishers description:

Based on exclusive access to Turkish archives, Defending Gallipoli reveals how the Turks reacted and defended Gallipoli. Author and Turkish language expert Harvey Broadbent spent five years translating everything from official records to soldiers' personal diaries and letters to unearth the Turkish story.

It is chilling and revealing to see this famous battle in Australian history through the 'enemy' lens. The book commences with a jihad, which sees the soldiers fighting for country and God together. But it also humanises the Turkish soldiers, naming them, revealing their emotions, and ultimately shows how the Allies totally misunderstood and underestimated them.

Defending Gallipoli fills a huge gap in the history of the Gallipoli campaign.

Cheers,

Hendo

Thanks Hendo,

Very much looking forward to the release of these two books. Of the research endeavours by Harvey Broadbent that have been published to-date, it has been impossible to establish whether his Turkish linguistic skills extend to translating Ottoman Turkish. It would be presumed that he has had the assistance of Turkish translators proficient with the old language, as the overwhelming volume of documentation, diaries and letters would be written in one of the four possible Ottoman scripts in use by Turkish forces on Gallipoli at that time.

As to the machine gun question that has taken up so much time and space on this forum over the past nine years, I would suggest that the three accounts of officers of the 27th Regiment eluding to there being no machine guns at Anzac until after 8am would be the first line of reference to anything that would be reported in Turkish military records. But I suppose I will have to wait and see just what Dr Broadbent has uncovered of that episode.

Should be a good talking point in Canberra this March just the same.

Jeff

I see that the second, paperback, retails at about UK£17

and the hardback mentioned first, at about UK£49

I should be able to manage the PB

but the HB will be subject to budget scrutiny!

This is going to be an expensive year, isn't it! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my copy of 'Gallipoli the Turkish Defence' last Saturday morning, have had little time to read through it all as yet, but from what I have glimpsed of the work so far, looks very good.

Just one note at this stage, Dr Broadbent in his 'notes' "Chapter 7: Defence in the August Offensive", 90, in reference to the charge at The Nek, quotes - "For full accounts of the Australian Light Horse disaster at Cesarettepe see Bean Official History, p, 611 - 23: Burness: Cameron, p. 177 ff.; and Broadbent, Gallipoli, The fatal Shore, p. 224 ff."

I would suggest that for detail of the charge, forego Dr Cameron's reference, too many errors of fact, and substitute John Hamilton's, "Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You" for the 8th Light Horse Regt. For the 10th Light Horse Regt, "Gallipoli to Tripoli", Browning & Gill (Gilly100 on this forum). All five of those publications will provide in varying forms a detailed account of what transpired.

Michael, I would suggest that you start putting some cash aside, this book will be a must have for Turkish resource material and research options.

It will be interesting to hear as to what others think of this work.

Jeff

Jeff,

I have read elsewhere that the first book, the hardback, is the academic book. The second is the general public's paperback. No need to buy both, though probably the paperback may be pared down a bit for easier consumption by the public.

Cheers,

Hendo

Thanks Hendo,

I would have thought that the hard back a bit expensive for the average academic, but then again, I suppose most would not have to fork out the hard earned to purchase the book privately. It's not cheap by any standard, no change out of $90, although I'm pleased I managed get hold of a copy.

There's much here to be examined, and to make any comment upon aspects of the Turkish archival material referenced in the book, such comment will be best served at those topics within this forum that relate to those matters, rather than trying to do an over-all review of book.

The heads up to the nature of the two books is interesting, but I will probably have to buy 'Defending Gallipoli The Turkish Story' when it is released on the 1st March, just to be on the safe side. Besides, the paper back will be far more manageable to cart around than the hard back.

Jeff

GWF Pals,

Another book to keep an eye out for due on the 5th of March 2015 is:

The Ottoman defence against the ANZAC landing 25 April 1915 by Uyar, Mesut

From the Australian Army History Units Campaign Series

ISBN 13: 9781925275018
ISBN 10: 1925275019
Publisher: Big Sky Publishing
Imprint: Big Sky Publishing
Publication Date: 5/03/2015

Cheers,

Hendo

Mesut Uyar is currently an Associate Professor of the UNSW College at the ADFA. Another of his works, written with Edward J. Erickson is A Military History of the Ottomans. ISBN 978–0–275–98876–0

Cheers,

Hendo

I see that the second, paperback, retails at about UK£17

and the hardback mentioned first, at about UK£49

I should be able to manage the PB

but the HB will be subject to budget scrutiny!

This is going to be an expensive year, isn't it! :unsure:

I agree with you, but then my library is getting bigger and might be something to pass on with the family history. That is if it ever gets written