Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eating in Bergues

Michelle Young

• Admin

I will be finding myself in Bergues on my birthday next month. Anyone have any restaurant recommendations for lunch?

Thanks Michelle

In BERGUES ???!!! In 'the Nord' ???!!!

Surely the only place to eat lunch is the van parked in the town square, where all the post office staff eat... :w00t:

James

Hi Michelle,

I have eaten a couple of times at the Bruegel, on the canal-front, which is jokily "typique"; you share scrubbed wooden tables with other customers and eat very hearty local Flemish dishes. However, last time I was there it looked as if it might have closed down, and I see nothing on its website.

This one seems to come out well on TA and in Le Petit Futé, and I certainly intend to give it a try on my next trip over there.

L'EPICURIEN
4, rue du Collège
59380 Bergues
tel 03 28 68 63 71
EDIT The website link provided on TA does not appear to be for the above establishment, but for a wine-dealer in Belgium. I could not find a website for the Bergues restaurant.
It's described a a wine bar, open Wed-Mon (i.e. closed Tues).
Hope your birthday is a Monday, as the morning street market in Bergues is wonderful, and the carillonneur plays an hour's-worth of merry tunes from the belfry!
And if you are an aficionado of that great movie, the tourist office offers "Ch'ti tours" of the film locations...
Angela

• Admin

Thank you for the suggestions, will look into them. My birthday is a Friday so I will miss the bells.

Michelle

• Admin

Indeed but we are spending the night at Rubrouck then heading to a gite between Cambrai and St Quentin