Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank, Regiment info required

Swally

Hi Guys, I am looking for some info on this guy's rank and regiment and anything else.

He is William Mac / McFarlane born 1878 (possibly Glasgow), he resided at 2 Moss Street, Cambusnethan some time during the war.

I have no idea of a Service Number but do know he survived. I think it could be HLI uniform but stand to be corrected. The lady who gave me the picture said he had 7 medals??? pre war history maybe?

Thanks,

Swally

post-7142-0-05119800-1422989236_thumb.jp

That would narrow it down to 5 William McFarlanes/MacFarlanes of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who have an MIC with Ancestry or TNA. Another 3 if he has a middle initial recorded.

TEW

Yes Argylls. The sporran type and the red and white dicing on the glengarry say Argylls. The cap badge appears to be big enough and the right shape as well.

Indeed... A&SH without a doubt.

Argylls it is then, I noticed he didn't have any badges on his sleeves or medals? I also think the tunic is a bit tight, my thoughts are this picture was taken after the war?

I think the lady whose Granda it is said that he came from Glasgow. I wonder if his Service Record is available? I know that 60% of them are burnt..........but I wonder?

Thanks to all who contributed,

Swally

Swally, if you discount the men named William McFarlane/MacFarlane in the Argylls who died during the Great War, those that were too young to be your man,(there is no way he is a late teenager/early twenties in that photo) and commissioned officers, there are not actually that many candidates. If he served pre-war, you may be able to narrow it down further from the service numbers (?)

Based on the various Scottish census', there appear to have been a few families with that surname residing in Cambusnethan, but I can't find that specific address recorded.

Where did you get the information as to the exact address from?

Tere was a small booklet made in 1922 about all the men of the Cambusnethan Parish who served in the Great War, tells you which regiment, address, married or not, whether they died, were injured or were decorated, quite a book.....although there are some mistakes!!!!! THe address I have is Moss Street, Cambusnethan, he did stay at Main Street Newmains but I think this was later. HE was married to a Jeannie Calderhead if that helps. Thanks, Swally

Hi Guys, I am looking for some info on this guy's rank and regiment and anything else.

He is William Mac / McFarlane born 1878 (possibly Glasgow), he resided at 2 Moss Street, Cambusnethan some time during the war.

I have no idea of a Service Number but do know he survived. I think it could be HLI uniform but stand to be corrected. The lady who gave me the picture said he had 7 medals??? pre war history maybe?

Thanks,

Swally

If he had 7 medals then he was probably a recalled reservist, which would fit with his apparent age, and probably awarded some, if not all of his medals during his original regular service. I suspect that some of it will have been in the 2nd Anglo/Boer War 1899 to 1902.

If he had 7 medals then he was probably a recalled reservist, which would fit with his apparent age, and probably awarded some, if not all of his medals during his original regular service. I suspect that some of it will have been in the 2nd Anglo/Boer War 1899 to 1902.

Frog thanks for the reply, I think the pic is post war

Frog thanks for the reply, I think the pic is post war

Yes that is possible and would be commensurate with him having medals from both the 2nd Boer War and WW1.