Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major L P Storr

SueRC

Please can anyone help? I'm trying to find information on Major Leycester Penrhyn Storr DSO, The Kings Liverpool Regiment. I know that he was killed on 29th March 1918 age 38 and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial but I haven't been able to find out anything else. Any info would be very gratefully received.

Born December Quarter 1879 in Lexden, Essex.

Married June Quarter 1907 in Isle of Wight to (I think) Elizabeth Lucy Blake.

The London Gazette

Publication date:2 July 1918 Supplement:30780Page:7889

T./Maj. Leycester Penrhyn .Storr, L'pool R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.

When in command of the battalion, on both company commanders of the leading

companies becoming casualties, he personally

led on the men under heavy fire to

the capture of the first objective. Having,

reorganised the battalion, he led it on to the

second -objective, which was successfully

taken. By his coolness, courage and ability

he set a splendid example to all ranks, and

the success of the operations was due to his

good leadership and initiative during a

critical period.

Ken

• 1 month later...

He was seconded to 7 / KOYLI from 12 / Kings in October 1917 (both in 61 Infantry Bde) as second in command. He took command of 7 / KOYLI while the CO was on leave in November 1917.

He won his DSO leading 7 / KOYLI on the first day of the Cambrai attack at La Vacquerie on 20th November 1917.

The King's Liverpool Museum http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.ukmay hold further info.

I have been trying to trace whether he left a personal diary for a while without success.

David

• 3 years later...
On 03/02/2015 at 04:25, kenmorrison said:

Major LP Storr was my Great Grandfather & I know so little about him. My Great Aunts, his daughters, told me little bits growing up but I don't think they knew too much about his life, certainly not his War life. Any information would be hugely appreciated!! I would really love to know more about him.

Edited by Ryn
For some reason when I clicked on reply to topic, I could only reply to a particular response rather than create an individual comment.

Thank you.. yes I've just seen this.. I think we have that photograph, but not much more. I've been able to track a little bit but I want to dig deeper & find his war records which I believe will be at Kew National Archives? He appears to have been incredibly brave & a strong leader in times of duress. I too would love to have had his war diaries but I don't ever recall seeing them at home growing up. We have his sword & did have his DSO medal, but that seems to have disappeared. 

Thank you, yes I thought I would probably have to physically go through records.. I'll have to try & make a trip over as I live in NZ now. What an amazing man he appears to have been, I'm so incredibly proud of him & terribly sad that I never got the chance to know more about him when I was younger.

I have summarised what has been posted above (adding a little where I can) so that you can get more of an idea of his movements.

• 23-10-1901 Served as a Lance-Corporal and Corporal (No. 33627) in South Africa with 22nd Company Imperial Yeomanry - awarded Queen's South Africa Medal with four clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902)
  • 24-10-1901 THE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY. 18th Battalion, Corporal L. P. Storr to be Lieutenant, with the temporary rank of Lieutenant in the Army. Dated 24th October, 1901. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27379/page/7650
  • 12-09-1902 THE IMPERIAL YEOMANRY (IN SOUTH AFRICA). 18th Battalion - The undermentioned Lieutenants relinquish their Commissions and are granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant in the Army with permission to wear the uniform of the Corps. Dated 12th September, 1902 :— .......... L. P. Storr  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27480/page/6344
  • 23-10-1902 Appears on a passenger list from Liverpool aboard the "Commonwealth"
  • 07-07-1909 Appears on a passenger list with his wife and daughter heading to Dominica from Liverpool aboard the "Thames"
  • 10-07-1911 Appears on a passenger list arriving in First Class at Southampton from Trinidad aboard the "Magdelena"
  • 20-10-1914 The King's (Liverpool Regiment), 12th Battalion, The undermentioned to be temporary Captains: — Dated 20th October, 1914. ...... Temporary Lieutenant (Honorary Lieutenant in Army) L. P. Storr. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29006/supplement/10670
  • 24-07-1915 Embarked to France as a Captain with 12th (Service) Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment - part of 61st Brigade (each brigade consisted of 4 Infantry Battalions) of 20th (Light) Division (a Division consisted of three infantry Brigades, 59th, 60th & 61st in this case).
  • 19-10-1915 The 12th King's War Diary notes Captain L P Storr going on leave on 19-10-1915. It does not mention what date he returned on.
  • 4-11-1915 The History of the King's Regiment (Liverpool) 1914-1919 Volume I states on page 214 that "L P Storr was wounded on 4th November {1915}" The war diary confirms the wounding with the context suggesting it was due to artillery fire. The battalion was in trenches at Rue Tilleloy near Laventie.
  • 15-5-1916 War Office, 1st July 1916. REGULAR FORCES. INFANTRY. Service Battalions. L'pool R. Capt. L. P. Storr to be temp. Maj. 15 May 1916. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29649/supplement/6573
  • 03-09-1916 12th King's in action at Guillemont on the Somme on 3 September 1916. They had previously spent tours of duty in trenches at Serre and Bernafay Wood during August 1916. 187 casualties (killed, missing or wounded) suffered on 3 September 1916. The battalion were relieved after that attack on 6 September. 14951 Sergeant D Jones and his Lewis Gun team remained in the line with the 9th Border Regiment who had no Lewis guns and fought off several German attacks. Jones was awarded the Victoria Cross for his efforts.
  • 16-09-1916 12th King's attacked Lesboeufs to the north of Delville Wood
  • 07-10-1916 12th King's attacked Rainbow and Cloudy trenches near Gueudecourt, the battalion suffering 215 casualties in capturing their objective.
  • 01-01-1917 Mentioned in Despatches? "Emblem" recorded on MIC suggests he was MID. A list of Honours and Awards in the 12th King's War Diary shows an MID on 1-1-1917 but does not show on the Gazette page for the Liverpool Regiment's MIDs at that time.
  • 06-10-1917 Attached to 7th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry from 6 October 1917 and appointed as as Second-in-Command of 7th KOYLI
  • 16-10-1917 Assumed temporary command of 7th KOYLI while Lieutenant Colonel J. T. Janson was on 30 days Special Leave.
  • 19-10-1917 Reverted to Second-in-Command of 7th KOYLI when Lt. Col. Janson returned to the battalion.
  • 20-11-1917 Awarded the DSO for gallantry near Marcoing / La Vacquerie whilst in command of 7th Battalion KOYLI. "T./Maj. Leycester Penrhyn Storr, L'pool R. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in command of the battalion, on both company commanders of the leading companies becoming casualties, he personally led on the men under heavy fire to the capture of the first objective. Having, reorganised the battalion, he led it on to the second objective, which was successfully taken. By his coolness, courage and ability he set a splendid example to all ranks, and the success of the operations was due to his good leadership and initiative during a critical period." https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30507/supplement/1600 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30780/supplement/7889
  • 20-11-1917 In temporary command of 7th KOYLI until Lt. Col. Janson resumed command on 28 November 1917
  • 30-11-1917 War Office, 5th April, 1918. REGULAR FORCES Service Battalions. D. of Corn. L.I. Temp. Maj. L. P. ,Storr, D.S.O. (Hon. Lt. in Army), from L'pool R., to be temp. Maj. 30 Nov. 1917, with seniority 15 May 1916. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30612/supplement/4121
  • 09-12-1917 The War Diary states that "Major Storr left 7th KOYLI to take command of 7th Somerset Light Infantry."
  • 08-12-1917 The War Diary of the 7th Somerset Light Infantry states that "Major Storr, 12th King's Liverpool commanded battalion from 10am to 1pm when Major R Brocklehurst arrived an took over command." He is not mentioned again. The implication is that Major Storr returned to the 7th KOLYI.
  • 20-02-1918 7th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry disbanded when all infantry brigades were reduced to three battalions. Men and officers of the 7th KOYLI were transferred to other units via No 14 Entrenching Battalion.
  • 27-02-1918 Joined 7th Battalion Duke of Cornwal's Light Infantry at Flavy-le-Meldeux per War Diary
  • 30-03-1918 Posted as Missing from 7th Battalion DCLI. The 7th DCLi were in a defensive line next to the village of Démuin (80110). The 7th DCLI War Diary notes that Major L P Storr commanded "61st Brigade Details" (a temporary unit made up of remnants of various units) "in the wood in front. The enemy opened up a heavy fire  about 6.30am with machine guns, he also fired several HE {High Explosive} shells into the wood and just behind it. Our flanks gave and we had to retire. The wood was practically surrounded with machine guns and we lost very heavily getting out. Amongst our casualties was Major L P Storr D.S.O. (our second-in-command) missing.We were then ordered to take up positions between Hangard and Domart {-sur-la-Luce} which we did."
  • 29-03-1918 Officially registered as Missing, presumed Killed in Action. No known grave and commemorated on Pozieres Memorial. The official date of death of the 29th appears to be at odds with the War Diary which shows him alive on the 30th.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Wow!!! Thank you, all, so very much for all of this... I'm completely blown away by the incredible bravery of this man... I'm so proud of him. I think I must do everything I possibly can now to find out all about him, not just his overwhelming war record, but also as a person. I think they had a 'lime plantation'? or some kind of plantation.. I know my Grandmother, Norah, spent time in Dominica.. I thought she was actually born there but maybe not, but I think they brought the nanny they had there back to UK as I know my Great Aunts talked about her & adored her.

Again, thank you guys so much.. I really appreciate it & I am truly indebted to you all for sharing your knowledge...& I shall absolutely post anything I find out...

• 4 months later...

Hi Ryn. I am researching the war memorial at Froxfield Green near Petersfield,Hampshire. There is an LP Storr named and your Major Storr would seem to be the only man to fit the bill. His address was given at probate in 1921 as Wyke Green, Froxfield, Petersfield. i don't know if there were other connections to this area.

I'm so glad you have got so much information from the forum members. He certainly was an ancestor to be proud of!

Edited by pudsey63

• 2 months later...
On 16/07/2019 at 06:27, pudsey63 said:

Hi Ryn. I am researching the war memorial at Froxfield Green near Petersfield,Hampshire. There is an LP Storr named and your Major Storr would seem to be the only man to fit the bill. His address was given at probate in 1921 as Wyke Green, Froxfield, Petersfield. i don't know if there were other connections to this area.

I'm so glad you have got so much information from the forum members. He certainly was an ancestor to be proud of!

Pudsey63

Wow thank you!! Yes that could well be him!! It's so frustrating having such an incredibly interesting Gt Grandfather yet so little is known about him. I can track my family on my Gt Grandmothers side to almost the beginning of time (hahaha) due to DeBretts etc but by all accounts my Gt Grandfather was quiet & quite reserved so my brother & I are having trouble finding out his life aside from, & including, the Army. I would love to be 'accidentally' locked into both the War Records & National Archives for a good 48 hours... although my eye for distraction would leave me covered in ledgers & half secrets about my ancestors!! Haha!! 

Hi Ryn, I know what you mean. It is rather addictive after a while. My husband says I spend more time with dead people than the living! I’ll certainly let you know if I uncover anything else while I’m ferreting round the local archives. 😀 

Dear All,

Temp. Maj. L. P. ,Storr, D.S.O. (Hon. Lt. in Army)

What is the significance/what does 'Hon. Lt. in Army' mean, please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Happy to be corrected, but I have seen Hon ranks before at officers retirement & where their other officer ranks/promotions were temporary or wartime only. Maybe his only substantive or permanent rank was 2nd Lt, and he was made Hon. Lt to reflect his wartime service & rank.

I presume for a living soldier, an hon rank would not carry any pay or pension entitlement at that rank.

• 4 years later...
On 16/02/2019 at 14:33, Ryn said:

Major LP Storr was my Great Grandfather & I know so little about him. My Great Aunts, his daughters, told me little bits growing up but I don't think they knew too much about his life, certainly not his War life. Any information would be hugely appreciated!! I would really love to know more about him.

Hi Ryn I knew your great aunts in Ardfry and I would be delighted if you wanted to make contact . My email address is Removed by moderator 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Ryn hasn’t visited the forum since 2019. My tag may alert them to your post. I’ve also removed your email address, it’s not a good idea to post personal information on a public forum as spammers will gather information like that. 

Hi Michelle ,

Thank you very much for your help , I appreciate .

Best wishes,

Amanda 

Hi Amanda,

Ohmigosh I would love to hear from you! I miss my Great Aunts and Ardfry every day!!! 

Karyn

• Admin

You can contact each other off forum using personal messaging. Click on the username, then on the envelope icon.