Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Territorial Garrison Gunners

Old Tom

I have found, in a box of oddments, a brass shoulder title with the letters. T over RGA, over Hants. I assume that there were a number of RGA units in the area of Portsmouth, the Solent and Spithead, including the Isle of Wight. The badge might have belonged to a member of my mother's family which included Hillary's, Whatmore's and Bright's. The Hillary's may have had links with the Portsmouth area.. I would be interested to know if these names ring any bells and to know the range of units possible.

Old Tom

Tom

No: 4 Company, Hampshire RGA (TF), Wessex Brigade RGA (TF) had their Drill Hall, which no longer exists, at Governor's Green, Portsmouth.

Source: http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Hampshire/TownPortsmouth%20-%20Others.html#Governor&rsGreen

See also for other locations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Wessex_Artillery

and for Governor's Green Map: http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/churches/royal_garrison/rga.htm

Dave

Hampshire (Southampton) RGA TF was made up of 1 HB, 2, 5, & 7 Coys at Southampton. 3 & 8 Coys at Eastleigh, 4 Coy at Portsmouth and 6 Coy at Woolston. Obviously these were all home units but many of the TF gunners would have been posted to batteries being formed which later went overseas. The Hants RGA TF helped to raise a few siege batteries including home AA Coys.

You could search the MICs for any of the names using just the name, then garrison, then the numbers 352???, 353???, 354??? and 354???

Kevin

Kevin,

Your steer may have hit the jackpot. I found a James William Hillary who served in 150 Siege Battery RGA from 15/4/16 to 27/2/18. The given names were common in my mothers family. However the MIC had no other detail. So this may not have been a ex territorial. I have no experience of researching individual soldiers but guess that is the end of the line.

Thanks again.

Old Tom

Tom,

The Ray Westlake book titled British Territorial Units 1914-18 features a PIC of No.4 Coy Hants RGA dated 1909.

If you think your relative may have been serving that early, it may be worth a look.

If you search for the book on Amazon, the photo features

On one of the pages in the "look inside" feature.

Alan

Thanks again. I suppose both Hillary and Bright are possible. My attempts at family history, before the days of the on line services, drew blanks on both branches of the family. The badge can back in the box with a note about Hants RGA TF and the possibilities. I shall leave it there.

Old Tom