Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vice-Admiral West, who was he?

museumtom

Was he a Customs officer? A Waterguard perhaps?

That's what I was wondering. I understand that there was a Customs presence in the Gallipoli campaign. I have 1915 star to a Customs man who supposedly served there.

Thanks guys and Gals, if we only had that elusive clue that joins it all together...

Maybe coastguard, lifeboats or lighthouses? Also try the US Navy see if he served in their navy.

So if he [the son] is serving on a Kerry pensions committee, is his father Irish?

TeeCeeCee, all we know is he is Vice-Admiral West. the article does not give his nationality, nor his first name. I find its best not to assume anything, otherwise you will frequently head down the wrong path. The lands and lassies on this forum keep me on the straight and narrow.

Cheers.

Tom

Right at the lower right-hand corner of this page (National Archives of Ireland) is a contact address. You could try sending them the clipping and see what they think?

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/getting-started/

sJ

Was there a West family living in Tralee? Or, according to the census, at that address (Customs House)? Or any West with an obvious government/civil service/customs/excise/revenue connection?

Just back from short break. Lots of good ideas there, thanks all. A first name would help to nail it I reckon.

• 1 month later...

I've found an Irish West who was a Master Mariner and served in the GW but I don't know how, or if , he fits with your West as I can't find a date of death.

John Charles West - Born 1864 in Belfast.

Second Mate 1888; First Mate 1890; Master 1894.

He appears twice on the 1901 Ireland Census -

1. Crew, Dufferin Dock, Belfast:

John Charles West (36). Chief Officer. Married. Born Belfast.

2. Alexander Park Avenue, Belfast:

John Charles West (37). Captain. Married. Born Belfast.

Annie West (32). Wife. Born Belfast.

Gwendoline Maude West (3). Daughter. Born Belfast.

Mary Lyons (74). Grandmother.

Annie Miller (19). Niece.

(No son)

I can't find him on the 1911 Ireland Census but found his wife Annie and her children living in Brunswick Road, Bangor:

Annie Theresa West (42). Married 19 years. Born Belfast.

Gwendoline West (13)

John Charles West (9)

Thomas Herbert West (6)

Annie Maureen West (1)

Kate Lyons (53). Sister.

Bridget Connolly (18). Servant.

Annie describes herself as the Head of the family but her husband hasn't died because ….

Medal Card of West, John Charles Place of Birth: Belfast Date... | The National Archives

JP

Thank you JP, Its adds some more possibilities, what is the difference between a Vice-Admiral and a Master Mariner? I don't know either. Thank you very very much for all your help, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom,

I think that a Master Mariner is a man who is qualified by the Board of Trade to take command of a merchant vessel. There may be exceptions for the commanders of smaller vessels.

Given the pattern of Irish emigration, it is not impossible that West senior was in the U.S. Navy or Coast Guard, though unlikely that he would be in active war service before 1917.

Ron