Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Regiment - HELP!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gosh, Ian, I tried to download and zoom in, but the resolution I get is not crisp.

Does it look like my avatar, 41st Canadien Francais ?? :ph34r:

Peter

i have tried to enhance it and it looks a bit clearer but not much

post-1-1052171811.jpg

well i have a clue ....I think its allied!!!!!...now ive helped you its upto someone else...

Ian, when you look at his uniform, can you tell immediately whether it is British Army or Canadian/other? I am new to this and his uniform looks like it could be Cdn to me, but are there any tell-tale signs for a newcomer to watch out for? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

The uniform is British. Canadian jackets had 7 buttons up to 1917 when Canada officially adopted the 5 button pattern for manfacture. Wartime Canadian manufactured 5 button jackets, which are extremely rare, have all small buttons (40 line) instead of the British 60 line. Those are 60 line buttons down the front.

However, the CEF became almost totally dependent on British uniform supply in later part of the war. So Canadians, especially those in France, were almost 100% British equipped. Canadian uniforms rarely made it out of the replacement units in England. So an even more valid question would be do you think it is a Canadian or British soldier?

I believe it to be a British soldier. First indication is that the wear of collar brass was almost universal with the Canadians and almost never worn by the British on the Service Dress jacket.

As for the cap badge?

Joe

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thanks everyone - the mystery continues. I have read through several books on cap badges but to no avail.

<_<

Ian

To me it looks to be a prancing pony or gazelle but as to the unit I have no idea.

John.

Staring at it for HOURS... it went like a magic eye... I think the previously reported 'Crown' is a flaw either on the negative or print made to a card - I think it's the

The King's (Liverpool Regiment) as it was pre-1921. The old 8th Foot.

Looking for a picture that's usable....

I think the previously reported 'Crown' is a flaw either on the negative or print made to a card - I think it's the

Staffsyeoman, you've convinced me, I can see it very clearly now.

Canadian jackets had 7 buttons up to 1917 when Canada officially adopted the 5 button pattern for manfacture.

Joe, is there any particular text that you can recommend for a uniform "newbie," detailing tips and tricks for identification?

Peter

Peter,

Try "Khaki - Uniforms of the CEF", Clive M. Law.

It is out of print but occasionally copies come up on Ebay.

Joe S.

Yes Joe, thanks for that. My city library has that book, but it is "on reserve," meaning I can't take it out on loan. I guess I'll get some coins together and go down and photocopy it!

I've attached examples of the cap badge worn by the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th Bns 'Liverpool Pals' and the 'White Horse of Hanover' cap badge worn by the regular bns and the 5th, 7th, 9th bns(TF) of the King's (Liverpool Rgt).

The 'Pals' cap badge was the family crest of Lord Derby - The Eagle and Child.

post-1-1053780666.jpg

Hi Ian

I looked at this when you first posted it, and did not have a clue. I've just looked at it again and I am sure I've seen that symbol some where before, but I not sure, this sounds daft but it looks like the symbol for the Isle of Man or Isle of something ? did they have a military unit of any kind ? Or do I need glass.

Annette

Annette,

The Isle of Man had the 7th (Isle of Man) Volunteer Battalion, the only surviving Vol. Bn. after the formation of the TF in 1908.

A company was formed and posted to 16th Bn King's (Liverpool Rgt) in 1915. The company was eventually transferred to the 3rd Cheshire becoming the 1st Manx (Service) Coy. In 1916 the the Coy. joined the 2nd Cheshire at Salonika and became A Coy. of that Bn.

Ronnie.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Annette/Ronnie,

Thanks - for your inputs. Looks like the lead on the Liverpool Regt is getting hotter!

Ian

The Eagle and Child was known to the troops as the Bustard and *******!

Later: blimey, my rude word filter is working! I'm sure you can tell what the blanked word is!