Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin LZ85 brought down at Salonika

Guest Captain Pikey

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi,

I have been researching the Zeppelin LZ85 that was brought dwn at Salonika on the 5th May 1916. I have a small website sort of devoted to the subject www.lolly.freeserve.co.uk I have recently found that forums can work as I have received quite a bit of extra information from the Aerodrome forum. I was bored at work and strumbled across this great forum. If anyone has any further information, I would be eternally grateful. I am particularly looking for a copy of the interrogation report, pictures, personal stories of the raids conducted on Salonika etc. I am also trying to find out more about HMS Canning that brought the wreckage back to Barrow in Furness and the torpedo boat that was also involved.

I am sorry for being a pain in the bum, but I would realy apreciate the help.

Kind regards

Ian

:rolleyes:

Ian

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

I noticed that your excellent website lists only the commissioned members of LZ85's crew. The full list, from Franks, Bailey and Duiven's Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-1920 ISBN 1902304 33 0 is below.

I hope it is of some assistance.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1099729083.jpg

Guest Captain Pikey

:D

Hi Gareth,

Thank you so much for the great information - I really apreciate your help. Thank you also for taking the time to look at my website to see what you could help me with. It will be great to update the site - once I can remember how to do it (it has been so long since I have done any changes). As I said in my first post, I am very new to forums and they are great. It is so nice that people are prepared to help out and to correct mistakes. I am sure that my website contains many mistakes, and I bet their are airship historians out there who are looking at it thinking that I am a muppet!!!! At least the forums are helping me to get it right!

Unfortunately, the forums cannot help me with my terrible spelling mistakes!

Thanks once again for the great information, you are a star!!

Is their anything I can help you with?

Take care

Kind regards

Ian

Guest Captain Pikey

:)

Hi Malcolm,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the LZ85 was brought down by HMS Agamemnon (although this is disputed in some quaters).

Having said that, thank you so much for your reply and for trying to help me.

Kind regards

Ian

Ian

I have read your LZ85 website - Fascinating stuff, great work. Airships are an interest of mine. I can't say I have any original research to add, but I did add details to the "List of Zeppelins" on the Wikipedia site, cross-referencing what info I did have, and your info on LZ85 was useful for that. See www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Zeppelins

I have a photo of HMS Agamemnon that I could email if you need it - though its out of a book so probably copyright!

Adrian

Hi Ian.

Congratulations on your most interesting web site.

Found this picture, probably the one that Aidrian has mentioned. In the interests of your research, i'll post image. Digs trench and waits for Lawyers :unsure:

Caption reads;

British sailors preparing, aboard H.M.S. Agamemnon, the 12-pounder gun which was to bring down the German Zeppelin L.Z.85 at the mouth of the Vardar in May 1916. The first serious air-raid upon Salonica had been made on December 30th, 1915. The fatal visit of the L.Z.85 was her third, two previous raids having been carried out by her on February 1st and March 17th, 1916.

post-25-1099939992.jpg

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Adrian,

Thank you so much for your interest in the site, and for your kind comments. Thank you also for the link to your great list of Zeppelins - sterling work - it is nice to be able to share information in this way.

I am sure that if the internet police were to look at my web site, I would probably be hung drawn and quatered for breach of copyright! It would be great to see your photograph of the HMS Agamemnon, if you were prepared to do so, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for all your help.

If you are interested in any other information on WW1 Zeppelins, please contact me as I have quite a bit of source material that may be of help.

Kind regards

Ian

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the fantastic picture of the gun crew. Thank you also for the kind words concerning the web site. It is fantastic that people like you and others who have replied to this 'string' are prepared to help out with peoples questions. I am extremely happy with the picture as I have a few pictures of the gun from HMS Agamemnon but not from this direction. You are a hero!

Out of interest, are you also researching this Zeppelin?

Is there anything I can help you with?

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Ian

Hi Ian.

Bit of a novice when it comes to the Zeppelin, but, that's where you come in Ian, you have to educate the likes of me via the Forum :P

Welcome mate, your contributions will prove most valuable.

Look forward to reading your future postings.

Regards, Chris.

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your post and for the great welcome you have given me. As I have said in previous posts, I am so new to forums and I cannot believe how friendly people are.

What a geat site, I have spent hours looking through old posts within the forum. Hopefully, I should be able to help other members - as it is a bit one sided at the moment. Unfortunately, I do not know much - so I am waiting for the right questions to come up!

I have quite a bit of source material on WW1 Zeppelins, and although I have been concentrating on the LZ85, it would be great to start reserching the others and perhaps starting a few new threads. Hopefully they will interest you, and further your knowledge of Zeppelins - it would be a pleasure to help.

Thank you once again for the great photo of the gun crew.

Is their anything I could look out for you?

Take care

Thanks once again for the great reply.

Kind regards

Ian

:D

Ian

I hope the promised picture of HMS Agamemnon will appear here; this is the first time I have tried attaching an image to a post! If not I will email it to you direct.

She and her sister Lord Nelson were the last pre-dreadnought class of RN battleship - in fact didn't enter service until after HMS Dreadnought so were already obsolete. She was the flagship of the Mediterranean fleet in WW1: the dreadnoughts were kept safely at home in the Grand Fleet; the pre-dreadnoughts were U-boat and mine fodder in the Med (five lost at Gallipoli alone).

I would be interested in any of your Zeppelin references. I am a fan of www.airshipsonline.com but this is about British airships (the book "Battlebags" by Ces Mowthorpe must be the definitive reference on this). Doing a web search under "Zeppelin" brings up lots of stuff on Led Zeppelin [great band if you're my age but beside the point here], but the only sites that I found on Aluminium Zepps rather than Led ones are your LZ85 one, the Wikipedia list that I mentioned as having modified, and www.zeppelin-nt.com which is about the modern NT version.

Adrian

post-25-1100135730.jpg

oops - the attachment worked but you may have to scroll sideways if it comes out the same as on my pc! Sorry the image is a bit grainy; a consequence of the enlargement and because a bitmap image was too many KBs for the attachment function so I had to use JPEG

Adrian

I would be interested in any of your Zeppelin references. I am a fan of www.airshipsonline.com but this is about British airships (the book "Battlebags" by Ces Mowthorpe must be the definitive reference on this). Doing a web search under "Zeppelin" brings up lots of stuff on Led Zeppelin [great band if you're my age but beside the point here], but the only sites that I found on Aluminium Zepps rather than Led ones are your LZ85 one, the Wikipedia list that I mentioned as having modified, and www.zeppelin-nt.com which is about the modern NT version.

Adrian

Adrian

One of the joys of a good search engine is that you cut out most of the band references very easily.

So when you go to www.google.com enter Zeppelin. You should ALSO enter a minus sign (with no space), in other words -Led, which will prevent any pages opening up which contain the word 'Led.'

So instead of getting 4,500,000 hits, you reduce it to 1,250,000 hits, most of which will be about German airships and not music. Of course you can narrow down the search more by entering -Hindenburg etc etc.

Look at http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=zep...nG=Search&meta= and you will find plenty more good sites on the Zeppelin.

Click on Google images and you can cut out most of the music stuff by going for greyscale pics - http://images.google.co.uk/images?as_q=zep...ch=&safe=images

Have fun. Airships are very addictive ;)

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Adrian,

Thank you so much for the great picture, and also the information about the class of ship. I too have problems with pictures when trying to place them on the WEB. That's perhaps one reason why I have not updated my web site for so long. I spend hours trying to get my poxy scanner to work properly. Due to my frustration a couple of weeks ago, I kicked the scanner and it has now stopped working!

Is their a particular Zeppelin that you favour most when researching? Let me know and I will try to provide further information.

As to searching the WEB, 'Racing Teapots' has the best solution. I spent ages scrolling through Led Zeppelin sites before I realized that you could cut the Led word out of searches! Try a search for Harry C Redner in google, he has a great site relating to the Army Zeppelins during WW1. It's in German, but thanks to the wonders of the WEB at least we can translate them now. It is full of interesting articles on Zeppelins, and Harry is really friendly and a genuine nice bloke! Hope he is reading this!

Thanks once again for the great photo.

Take care,

Kind regards

Ian

:blink:

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Racing Teapots,

I was trawling through the forum yesterday and came across your 'thread' concerning civilian casualties. I would like to say that this is a great topic and great for research. What are your interests relating to airships?

Take care

Kind regards

Ian

:blink:

I now have names and/or details for over 70 per cent of the UK casualties caused by airships and bombers.

I love ALL airships, so our paths are bound to cross quite often....

Up ship!

;)

post-25-1100199762.jpg

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Racing Teapots,

Many thanks for the reply.

Have you been collecting the small local booklets produced in recent years concerning Zeppelin raids? I have compiled the following list from memory, as my wife is on the phone and refusing to move so that I can get to the cupboard!

Death from the skies

Zeppelins over Lancashire

Zeppelins over Bury

The fate of Zeppelin L32

Zeppelins over Streatham

I know from previous posts that you already know about 'A glint in the sky'. Their is also another about a valley where a Zeppelin raided but I cannot remember the title.

Do you know of any more? I would be very grateful for any help that you can give me. Also their is an internet book for sale concerning the wreck of the L48, have you purchased it?

I have an extra three copies of Zeppelins over Bury free to good homes (a little, little bit damaged and so if anyone wants a copy it's first come first served!)

Take care

Kind regards

Ian

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Mark,

Many thanks to your great reply. Thank you also for the link to the great book page.

I love anything relating to LZ85, but I am afraid that £100.00 might be to steep for me at the moment. I have three very demanding young girls and a wife who sees a new bag every time we go out. I am normally left with a pocket full of small change. I spend my life searching ebay with words like Zeplin and Zepelin in the hope that someones listed something incorrectly so that I can get it cheaper. I don't think I should have told you that! Thank you so much for telling me about it.

Are you also researching LZ85 or indeed WW1 Zeppelins?

Take care, and thanks once again.

Kind regards

Ian

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Adrian,

If you have not got copy of Zeppelins over Bury, let me know! Hope your web results are getting better!

Take care

Kind regards

Ian

I do have a few booklets - contact me off forum and I'll send you the scanned copy of 'The Potters Bar Zeppelin.'

There are a few good books about Zeppelin raids:

They Come, They come [London raids, mainly] - John Hook. The same chap has also done some other districts, such as Midlothian (rare!). They are privately published, and hand-bound.

Mainstream titles include The German Raids of Great Britain (good for maps), Baby Killers (gazeteer is nice), and Douglas Robinson's The Zeppelin in Combat (fabulous work).

I have a few other titles, and know of a some more obscure titles which I've read (but which I don't, unfortunately, own).

LTA is fab!

A few more:

Horgan; Dorothy Then the Zeppelins came

Poolman, Kenneth Zeppelins Over England

Castle HG Fire Over England, The German Air Raids of World War I

Fredette The First Battle of Britain,1917-1918,& the Birth of the Royal Air Force

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Pete,

I replied to your email, before looking back at the forum!

Thank you for the great list, and for the offer to scan the Potters Bar Zeppelin. I do have a copy of this, but forgot to add it to the list - I am getting forgetful in my old age.

I have most of the main ones on this list but their are a few new ones that sound very interesting indeed. I had often wondered what else was out their. A friend of mine also said their was a book called "Zeppelins and Jellied eels", however, I do not know what Zeppelin information is included withing the book as it seems more like a diary of a ladies life.

Do you have a copy of the German airships in WW1 by John Provan. He has just done another printing, I managed to get hold of a copy a couple of weeks ago - a fabulous reference book.

When I get around to it, I will check to see if I have omitted any books from my list.

Take care

Kind regards

Ian