The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where would a 14 15 star feature in this set?

Tim P

In a grouping of queens sudan medal, India Gsm and 1911 delhi durbar, once a 14 15 star was awarded, where would it sit?

Instinct tells me between the IGSM and the durbar as the latter is not a campaign medal as such and is therefore subordinate.

In the great war were gongs worn chronologically though?

at the end - possibly - quite common practice to wear a coronation medal (or similar) as the 1st medal in those days as you can see below in this ex Coldstream man's group

post-3871-0-75588700-1422485982_thumb.jp

In a grouping of queens sudan medal, India Gsm and 1911 delhi durbar, once a 14 15 star was awarded, where would it sit?

Instinct tells me between the IGSM and the durbar as the latter is not a campaign medal as such and is therefore subordinate.

Hi Tim,

The Queens Sudan, IGS'08, 1914/15 Star, BWM, VM, Khedive's Sudan and D/D 1911, would be the full group I think and in this order. Of course in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries the Jubilee and Coronation medals were often worn before the campaign medals in a group and not after as is now the case--not certain exactly when things changed.

Robert

Tim,

In my collection, I have a grouping as follows :-

Military Medal - 1914 Star - British War Medal - Victory Medal - India General Service Medal - Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-06195400-1422486128_thumb.j

GSMs are worn in the order of which the first clasp is awarded; i.e. if it is an Indian General Service Medal 1908 with "North West Frontier 1908" it goes in front of any WW1 medals; if the first clasp is "Afghanistan NWF 1919" or any of the later clasps it goes after the WW1 medals (as above).

Is it a 1908 India General Service Medal or an 1895-1902 one? Academic if it is a 1908 one with NWF 1908 as both/either would go in front of WW1 medals. If the medals were worn after WW1, then the Delhi Durbar would certainly go after campaign medals, but before long service medals.

I have never been able to pin an exact date for the change (it seems to have happened during the war when the Military Cross was instituted?) in precedence for Coronation and Jubilee Medals from the front to further back, but they were worn ahead of campaign medals pre-WW1 as they were held to be in the direct gift of the Sovereign.

minefield.

the bar would be set up as if the recipient was serving but was yet to receive the war and victory, circa 1916 say.

The 1914/15 Star didn't exist until 1919, the earlier 1914 Star only came into existence very late in 1917, with initial issues of ribband to those entitled in early/mid 1918. In all cases actual medal issue didn't begin until post-war.

GSMs are worn in the order of which the first clasp is awarded; i.e. if it is an Indian General Service Medal 1908 with "North West Frontier 1908" it goes in front of any WW1 medals; if the first clasp is "Afghanistan NWF 1919" or any of the later clasps it goes after the WW1 medals (as above).

Phil,

Thanks for that info, my IGSM 1908-35 has a ' Waziristan 1921-24 ' Clasp, hence its position after the WW1 Trio.

Regards,

LF