Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huge collection of German documents in Russia

Chris_Baker

Others with an interest in the German Army may already be aware of this, but an amazing collection of digitised war diaries and other documents from WWI has been put online. This is part of a joint project called Geheim! (Secret!) to make available German material held by the Russian Federation.

The digitisation and search functions seem to be excellent, and I'm just going through the collection now in the hope that it will include some of the records lost during WWII:

http://tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/de/nodes/2-deutsche-beuteakten-zum-ersten-weltkrieg-im-zentralarchiv-des-verteidigungsministeriums-der-russischen-foderation-bestand-500-findbuch-12519

Enjoy!

John

I wish I understood German as there must be loads of interesting things hidden away in these archives.

Craig

It's not just the German, it's the handwriting. Who needs Enigma?

John

Good to know someone else spotted them - even if they're hard to make sense of. I'll get out my German dictionary.

Thanks, John

It's not just the German, it's the handwriting. Who needs Enigma?

John

What's the difficulty? I like the kurrent and sütterlin script.

Some of the stuff is very interesting. Most of it is related to the Eastern Front though (as this probably interested the Russians more), although there are some Western Front things there as well.

Jan

Hi Jan, I wish I could say that! I haven't found many Germans who could read it, so I've got no chance.

All the best, John

Hi Jan, I wish I could say that! I haven't found many Germans who could read it, so I've got no chance.

All the best, John

Befriend a German over the age of seventy. A former Kinder Transport chap helps with mine. It was taught to that age group in school.

Dave

Actually I met one former German soldier who could read the old handwriting, and asked him to help me with some letters. I discovered he was a WW2 veteran who had been in the Afrika Korps and saw Rommel in person. After that we had so much to talk about that the letters were forgotten.

Maybe next time...

Quite some file...

Indeed. And considering I have a terrible time with the old script, it may be a while before I understand what this actually is. :) All I know is that Paul is a distant cousin.

Here's a transcription for scan 12/326 (page numbered 8.); I'm fairly certain it's correct:

Bescheinigung.

Der Unteroffizier Stern befindet sich
seit 7. 4. 08 zur Ausbildung als Zahl-
meister-Aspirant bei der unterzeich-
neten Kasserneverwaltung. Deshelbe
wird für soweit vorgebildet erachtet,
daß seine Kommandierung zur Regiments-
Bekleidungs-Kommission erfolgen kann.

Diedenhofen, den 28. September 1909.
Kasserneverwaltung III/135
Reinhardt
Zahlmeister

Indeed. And considering I have a terrible time with the old script, it may be a while before I understand what this actually is. :) All I know is that Paul is a distant cousin.

Here's a transcription for scan 12/326 (page numbered 8.); I'm fairly certain it's correct:

Bescheinigung.

Der Unteroffizier Stern befindet sich

seit 7. 4. 08 zur Ausbildung als Zahl-

meister-Aspirant bei der unterzeich-

neten Kassenverwaltung. Derselbe

wird für soweit vorgebildet erachtet,

daß seine Kommandierung zur Regiments-

Bekleidungs-Kommission erfolgen kann.

Diedenhofen, den 28. September 1909.

Kassenverwaltung III/135

Reinhardt

Zahlmeister

Correction

My German is also limited to college courses (low level too) and old German characters are challenging, but

if you have a jpg file of what you want to transcribe, this site

https://www.newocr.com/

will convert your document to text and it will be easier to translate. You have to select

• German - Fraktur as the language - any other selection won't give you a good result.

I am not sure if it will transcribe handwritten documents. I have used it only for printed pages.

My German is also limited to college courses (low level too) and old German characters are challenging, but

if you have a jpg file of what you want to transcribe, this site

https://www.newocr.com/

will convert your document to text and it will be easier to translate. You have to select

• German - Fraktur as the language - any other selection won't give you a good result.

I am not sure if it will transcribe handwritten documents. I have used it only for printed pages.

Hi Ginnerva,

I shall give that site a try...many thanks!

-Daniel

Wow, what a file on Paul Stern - 326 pages!

And what it includes: school certificate (page 6), CV (page 31) other certificates or maybe better characters (?). A real treasure.

But I have great difficulties to read this type of handwriting, too. Have too little practice.

Christine

Hi Ginnerva,

I shall give that site a try...many thanks!

-Daniel

Y.a.w. Daniel

It is useful for the http://des.genealogy.net/and their Verlustlisten that lists WWI German soldiers that were wounded or killed as well as for other printed documents.

• 5 months later...

I heard from a very reliable historian that a large number of WW1 German records were taken to Russia at the end of the Second World War. This historian told me that people are now able to access these records.

Is this true? Has anyone ever accessed records in Russia?

Thanks,

Cam

Some of them are online already:

http://tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/de/nodes/2-deutsche-beuteakten-zum-ersten-weltkrieg-im-zentralarchiv-des-verteidigungsministeriums-der-russischen-foderation-bestand-500-findbuch-12519

I would love to know more about the scope of what they have and what their plans are for making them available online, as they have in the case of these records. I am cautiously optimistic!

-Daniel

Well, from what I have looked at, you don't need Russian really. It all seems clickable - but I have only glanced at a few KTB and one or two maps.