Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huge collection of German documents in Russia

Chris_Baker

Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation (TsAMO RF) received the collection of “German documents of the First World War” (Fond 500, Series 12519) from the Military Scientific Directorate and the General Staff of the Military Forces of the USSR during the period of 1953-1961. The collection includes 36,000 pages of institutional documents of German Great General Staff, staffs and chiefs of troops, military units, the Prussian War Ministry, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and others.

The bulk of the collection includes war operations record books (84 folders), maps and schemas (146 folders), personnel files (85 folders), financial records and other documents. Also included are lists of military units and overview of their formation and deployment, records of weapons supply, chemical weapons use, information about damaged and sunken battleships, military propaganda materials and surveillance briefs.

The collection also includes materials about Germany’s foreign and internal affairs, the 1907 Second Hague Peace Conference, The Russo-Japanese War of 1904, peace treaty and economic negotiations with Romania.

I can't see any way of searching these as yet. Thank you to Simon Jones for bringing this to my attention.

http://tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/en/nodes/2-german-documents-of-the-first-world-war-tsamo-rf-fond-500-series-12519

Excellent! Thanks for the link.

Tip: If you change the language in the top righthand corner to Deutsch the description of the various items changes to German in Latin script, which maybe is a little easier to read than Russian in cyrillic....

Again worth copying and pasting text, the first 9 on this page Click

Дело 1. Журнал боевых действий 156 штаба обозно-транспортных частей, 10 этапной инспекции 10 Армии

Case 1. Journal of hostilities 156 Staff notation transport parts, 10-stage inspection of 10 Army

Дело 2. Приказы штаба 41 резервного корпуса.

Case 2. Orders Staff 41 reserve corps.

Дело 3. Журнал боевых действий отдела снабжения 36 пехотной дивизии – Битва на Сомме, битва при Аррасе

Case 3. Journal of hostilities supply department 36 Infantry Division - The Battle of the Somme, the Battle of Arras

Дело 4. Журнал боевых действий отдела снабжения 36 пехотной дивизии – Битва на Сомме, битва при Аррасе

Case 4. Journal of hostilities supply department 36 Infantry Division - The Battle of the Somme, the Battle of Arras

Дело 5. Документы по организации этапной инспекции 10 Армии, впоследствии Неманской и 8 Армии.

Case 5. Documents on the organization staged inspection 10 Army, later Neman and 8 Army.

Дело 6. Документы по организации 8 этапной инспекции, с 8.7.1915г. 8/10, от 5.10.1915 – 10 этапной и...

Case 6. Documents on the organization of 8-stage inspection, with 8.7.1915g. 8/10 from 10/05/1915 - 10-stage and ...

Дело 7. Начальник Генерального штаба сухопутных войск; оперативный отдел: документы по тяжелой артил..

Case 7. Chief of the General Staff of the Army; Operations Division: Documents Weightlifting artil ..

Дело 8. Брошюра майора Буле «Как тяжелая артиллерия стала подвижной» - о перевозке артиллерийского о...

Case 8. Brochure Major bule "How heavy artillery became mobile" - on the transport of artillery ...

Дело 9. Основные приказы штаба 9 армии – папка № 4 – с приложением карты

Case 9. The main orders of Staff 9 Army - folder number 4 - with a map

Fascinating, don't have much of a clue what it all means though. I wonder if there's more yet to be uploaded?

Mike

This sounds like fun!

But it also seems as if the Military Archives have changed... It used to take ages to get the 18th century plans I needed and costed a fair whack to get a copy - although in fairness the right to use anywhere came with the price...

Wow, where the heck did the Russian liberators stole that archive from during their occupation 1945-1989 in East Germany?

Perhaps the saying 'Possession is 9/10ths of the law' was practised :)

Wow, where the heck did the Russian liberators stole that archive from during their occupation 1945-1989 in East Germany?

It's from the Reichsarchiv (the German military archives) which was burned in a bombing raid in 1945. There must be still more out there probably...

It's from the Reichsarchiv (the German military archives) which was burned in a bombing raid in 1945. There must be still more out there probably...

I'll be darn!!!!!

Chris thanks for posting. You're right, an awful lot of information there and thanks Mike for some enlightenment on the language barriers.

Thanks Chris, Mike and JWK, great find. I've translated German with Google before and it does (usually) give you an idea of the subject. I guess we should also thank the Russian Ministry of Defense for making all this material available.

Dave

Chris and Simon,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I look forward to having a look through these over the weekend. Or perhaps several weekends! :)

-Daniel

Back home and just had a gander at a few of these - there are going to be some pretty interesting finds here! Naturally, I hope somebody stumbles on the document that orders the making of the Ersatz series of bayonets...!!!

EDIT: Mind you, I sometimes find myself locked onto one document and can't get back to the opening page of the whole series

I sometimes find myself locked onto one document and can't get back to the opening page of the whole series

Right Click on the main image and open in a new tab or window , then you should always be able to get to the main page?

Mike

If you use Google Chrome as your browser, it automatically offers you a Google translate facility for the website pages (unfortunately not the files!)

For those interested in the Middle East, who can read German, I noticed the following files

File Title: Records of the Chief of the General Staff of the 6th Ottoman army (13)

http://tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/de/indexes/values/2904

Act no. 396 personnel records of soldiers and officers of the X Corps, correspondence of the stage inspection of the General Staff of the 6th Ottoman army for water transport and steam navigation on the Tigris and Euphrates

Edit: I can't get the link for this to work , but it was the usual http: // at the beginning (no space) then tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/de/nodes/407-akt-nr-396-personalbogen-von-soldaten-und-offizieren-des-x-armee-korps-schriftverkehr-der-etappeninspektion-des-generalstabes-der-6-osmanischen-armee-zum-wassertransport-und-zur-dampfschifffahrt-auf-euphrat-und-tigris#page/1/mode/grid/zoom/1. Copying and pasting seems to work OK

Cheers

Maureen

Chris (and Simon),

thank you! Found some interesting documents about the German "schwerste Steilfeuer" (German siege artillery) :)

Kind regards

Arjen

Right Click on the main image and open in a new tab or window , then you should always be able to get to the main page?

Mike

Thanks for that tip - will have a go when I have a few hours spare!

This is how it appears in the Chrome browser.( Just a small screen grab of the massive selection of books on offer )

There are some epic books to be viewed - If only I was a reader of German language.

post-103138-0-73938100-1422705439_thumb.

Thanks for posting the link, Chris.

I was browsing the other day, looking for 1914 references and came across one on (if the translation software worked !) on the pre-war plans for part of the Metz garrison, with pages and pages of drawings of railway signals !

• 8 months later...

Others with an interest in the German Army may already be aware of this, but an amazing collection of digitised war diaries and other documents from WWI has been put online. This is part of a joint project called Geheim! (Secret!) to make available German material held by the Russian Federation.

The digitisation and search functions seem to be excellent, and I'm just going through the collection now in the hope that it will include some of the records lost during WWII:

http://tsamo.germandocsinrussia.org/de/nodes/2-deutsche-beuteakten-zum-ersten-weltkrieg-im-zentralarchiv-des-verteidigungsministeriums-der-russischen-foderation-bestand-500-findbuch-12519

Enjoy!

John