Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

43752 L/Cpl. Bernard Pinnington 16 Royal Welsh Fusiliers

gawains

I'm looking for any information on or photographs by my Grandfather Bernard Pinnington who was a Lance Corporal in the 16th RWF

He survived the war and was later a Photographer based in Dumfries - all the photographs of his that we own begin from this time.

I have recently found on various sites a handful of photographs he took during the first world war and I believe a couple of them may have been discussed on this forum previously. Judging from the negative numbers he must have taken quite a number photos mainly for postcards. The images are signed on an overlay across one of the bottom corners B. Pinnington ( Some times Ainsdale or Ainsdale, Southport )

If anyone can help with this it would be most appreciated

43752 L/Cpl. Bernard Pinnington enlisted on 9th December 1915, towards the end of the Derby Scheme recruitment campaign. He served with the 16th Battalion RWF in 38th (Welsh) Division. At one point he was "attached Corps Bombing School" (presumably as an Instructor, in grenade-throwing). Awarded the British War and Victory Medals.

He was given a medical discharge from the Army on 7th February 1918 aged 29, and awarded Silver War Badge no.B318217. Cause of discharge is given as Army Order 265 Para 2 (B1). This Order dated from 10 August 1917 and translates as a discharge for someone who had served overseas as a soldier, was still of military age, and was being discharged owing to disablement or ill-health "caused otherwise than by misconduct"!

I can't see service or pension papers in his name, but if his discharge was medically-related you might consider paying for a search of the "Pension cards" held by the Western Front Association (£25 but partial refund if unsuccessful) http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/all-about-the-wfa/wfa-news-events/pension-records/pension-record-lookup-request-fee.html

Clive

Thank you ever so much for that Clive.

We had no record of his discharge although he did tell me he had been both shot and gassed and since his death we obtained a copy of a photograph of him in a hospital but have had no idea where it was taken and no date to put to it. Although I was only eight at the time I have a very clear memory of him telling me about crossing No Man's Land on bombing raids and having to cut through the wire in quite gruesome detail for an eight year old ! So that all ties in.

Now I know he wasn't wounded early on in the war I would like to find out where his Battalion were fighting. I'm sure he talked about Mametz on several occasions - but I may have that wrong. Can you recommend where I might be able to read more about what happened to the 16th Battalion ? I'm not sure how I got it but I have a note that says J E MUNBY A History of the 38th Welch Division. Is that a good place to start ?

I have uploaded one of Bernard's Photographs. Again I have no information as to who the subjects are or where and when it may have been taken.

Andrew

post-110193-0-51909200-1422497698_thumb.

Possibly Yeomanry, the chap seated with the bandolier is wearing spurs and riding breeches, and also the swords.

John

• 3 months later...

Thank you ever so much for that Clive.

We had no record of his discharge although he did tell me he had been both shot and gassed and since his death we obtained a copy of a photograph of him in a hospital but have had no idea where it was taken and no date to put to it. Although I was only eight at the time I have a very clear memory of him telling me about crossing No Man's Land on bombing raids and having to cut through the wire in quite gruesome detail for an eight year old ! So that all ties in.

Now I know he wasn't wounded early on in the war I would like to find out where his Battalion were fighting. I'm sure he talked about Mametz on several occasions - but I may have that wrong. Can you recommend where I might be able to read more about what happened to the 16th Battalion ? I'm not sure how I got it but I have a note that says J E MUNBY A History of the 38th Welch Division. Is that a good place to start ?

I have uploaded one of Bernard's Photographs. Again I have no information as to who the subjects are or where and when it may have been taken.

Andrew

The 38th Division, including RWF elements suffered greatly in the Mametz action and I recommend that you read the classic memoir 'up to Mametz' that has recently been revised and re-published.

The photo shows an RWF war-raised Service Battalion that because of a shortage of cap badges initially wore white discs printed with the RWF rampant dragon and the Gothic letters RWF beneath both in red. This would indicate that they are under training in 1915 or early 1916.

• 3 years later...

The photo would have been taken about 1911 - 1914 & assume it was taken at home, Blackwood Farm, Penley, before Harold was sent originally to France B.E.F

Kind regards

June Davies

harold william davies about 1911 - 1913.jpg

Edited by ARTHURRAYMOND1925

11 minutes ago, ARTHURRAYMOND1925 said:

B. PINNINGTON, AINSDALE PHOTOGRAPH

HAROLD WILLIAM DAVIES 1891 - 1919 MMP DIED OF INFUENZA AFTER THE WAR - BURIED IN COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

MY GREAT UNCLE.

The photo would have been taken about 1911 - 1914 & assume it was taken at home, Blackwood Farm, Penley, before Harold was sent originally to France B.E.F

Kind regards

June Davies

I assume you mean Blackwood Farm, Penley, Flintshire (now Wrexham County Borough)?   The address doesn't appear on the 1918 Absent Voters List, but it's far from being complete.  He might be shown on the "Flintshire Roll of Honour Cards" and I do have a transcript of these for Penley - I just can't recall where I've put it at present!

Quite a few local men joined the Welsh Horse Yeomanry during 1915, then were transferred into the Cavalry Reserves for 9th Lancers etc., and from thence into Infantry such as the East Surreys!

If I can retrieve the transcript I'll post here again.

clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Hi,

Found it!  He was a police constable at Shotton when he enlisted aged 24 on 10 December 1915 under the Derby Scheme. Mobilised days later on 1 January 1916, he immediately joined the Military Mounted Police as a Lance-Corporal, though he had some pre-war service in the Shropshire Yeomanry.  He crossed to France in April 1916, and served with IX Corps MMP from then until his death.  He died of influenza and pneumonia at the 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Station about eight days after he was admitted.  The dreadful Spanish Flu and pneumonia very often went together.  He had one Home leave from France, in September 1918, and his brother John D.Davies of Salop Road, Overton-on-Dee was his next of kin.  He is listed on the war memorial outside Penley Church.    

The photo could be him during his MMP service in the UK in January-April 1916, though unlikely to be taken on the farm at Penley (I doubt the photographer would have come all that way from Southport).  An alternative would be if it was of him in the Yeomanry pre-1914, perhaps when they were on Annual Camp in the Southport area??  I regret I can't see the cap and shoulder badges distinctly enough to say which regiment he belonged to at the time; though if you posted the image on the Badges/Insignia section of this Forum someone more expert might be able to help.  

EDIT, just struck me that he hasn't got a Lance-Corporal's stripe on his sleeve, which he would have worn as soon as he was appointed to the MMP.  Chances increase that it's a 1914 or earlier picture.  

Clive 

Edited by clive_hughes

O thank you so much, Clive, for all the information -  this is my first post on the website and the original intention to post the photo' was with reference to photographer' Bernard Pinnington, Ainsdale'!

Harold was in the Shropshire Yeomanry prior to joining the MMP -  and also a Police Constable at Shotton,

He is on my Family Tree and have just taken a second look at his Service records. but can you tell me please, where the 3rd Australian Casualty....Station....was based, I found them in Northern France?......so don't understand why he was buried at the Southern Cologne Cemetery, Germany?............ In a local newspaper at the time of his death he was 'somewhere near the Rhine' -  I have original photographs of his funeral....... ..like a 'state funeral procession', in a European city, Cologne??......The coffin (covered with union jack) mounted on what looks like a gun carriage?..... marching soldiers, with band playing military....imagine the photo's were sent to my Grandfather,,  brother to Harold at the time.

Thank you

June

On 28/01/2015 at 13:07, gawains said:

I'm looking for any information on or photographs by my Grandfather Bernard Pinnington who was a Lance Corporal in the 16th RWF

He survived the war and was later a Photographer based in Dumfries - all the photographs of his that we own begin from this time.

I have recently found on various sites a handful of photographs he took during the first world war and I believe a couple of them may have been discussed on this forum previously. Judging from the negative numbers he must have taken quite a number photos mainly for postcards. The images are signed on an overlay across one of the bottom corners B. Pinnington ( Some times Ainsdale or Ainsdale, Southport )

If anyone can help with this it would be most appreciated

1 hour ago, ARTHURRAYMOND1925 said:

O thank you so much, Clive, for all the information -  this is my first post on the website and the original intention to post the photo' was with reference to photographer' Bernard Pinnington, Ainsdale'!

Harold was in the Shropshire Yeomanry prior to joining the MMP -  and also a Police Constable at Shotton,

He is on my Family Tree and have just taken a second look at his Service records. but can you tell me please, where the 3rd Australian Casualty....Station....was based, I found them in Northern France?......so don't understand why he was buried at the Southern Cologne Cemetery, Germany?............ In a local newspaper at the time of his death he was 'somewhere near the Rhine' -  I have original photographs of his funeral....... ..like a 'state funeral procession', in a European city, Cologne??......The coffin (covered with union jack) mounted on what looks like a gun carriage?..... marching soldiers, with band....I imagine the photo's were sent to my Grandfather, brother to Harold.(1 Photo attached)

Thank you again

June

attached: Harold's Funeral - Apr 1919

harold's funeral.jpg

Hi June,

Harold died on April 2nd 1919, so the 100th anniversary of his death is on Tuesday.

He was attending IX Corps, I presume as part of the British Army of Occupation on the Rhine after the War.

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi June,

Harold died on April 2nd 1919, so the 100th anniversary of his death is on Tuesday.

He was attending IX Corps, I presume as part of the British Army of Occupation on the Rhine after the War.

Thanks Dai, I know it's the 100th anniversary - but can you please explain where the 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Station was based??  (Can only find in Northern France!!)- Harold was admitted there about eight days before his death. And was buried at  Cologne Southern Cemetery, Cologne, following a Funeral procession in a City?? (see Photo above)

Many thanks for any help on this

June

Hi June,

He was admitted to 3 Australian CCS on March 26th.

3rd Australian CCS war diary for March 1919 is here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1352618

They were at Euskirchen, Germany  (some 25 miles south of Cologne) at this time, not in France.

There is reference in the diary to the high numbers of severe pneumonia cases arising from Influenza at this time, but no mention I could find of Harold Davies.

April 1919 diary here: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1354586

Thank you so much, Dai for the information about the location of the camp. Also for the link to CCS war Diaries, they are very interesting. 

Might you know anything about where and when the funeral took place, who attended & the photograper?  My Father knew little of this and who attended, if any of the family or where the photographs came from?

Finally, may I ask, where would you suggest, that I could post a memorial for Harold (100 year anniversary of his death), and maybe include photos of his funeral?

Perhaps then I may receive further answers about my Great Uncle?

I feel that I don't want the 2nd of April 2019 to pass, without some mention of him!

Thank you

June

1 hour ago, ARTHURRAYMOND1925 said:

Might you know anything about where and when the funeral took place, who attended & the photograper?

I'm sorry June, I know nothing about Harold's death or funeral other than what you have posted.

• spof changed the title to 43752 L/Cpl. Bernard Pinnington 16 Royal Welsh Fusiliers