Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded at Gallipoli

Kilroywashere

I am researching Private 3171 Patrick Birchall, 9th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. He enlisted in Bury on 18th August 1914. He was married on 14th December 1914. I have established that he landed at Suvla Bay on 7th August 1915. Within two weeks or so the 9th Battalion was so reduced in strength that they formed a composite Battalion with the 8th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, known as 1 Battalion - 34th Brigade. His Service Record was lost in the blitz, but what is known from other sources is that he was seriously wounded (though at what stage in the action he was wounded is not known) and he was evacuated to hospital in the U.K. and spent some time recovering from his wounds. He was subsequently considered unfit for a combat role and was transferred to Royal Defence Corps - with Service number 79785. His first child was born in July 1917 so he obviously had home leave at some time in 1916. he was discharged on 12th September 1918 as . . . ."surplus to military requirements having suffered impairment since entry into the service".

Is it possible to find how and when he was shipped back to the U.K. - would any medical records with information about the extent of his wounds exist - and where he served with the Royal Defence Corps. What little information available from the Fusiliers Museum in Bury is included in this narrative.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have found him in the casualty lists:

Forename P

Surname Birchall

Casualty Status Missing

Rank Private

Service Number 3171

Regiment Lancs. Fusiliers, 9th Bn.

Daily List Date 28th September 1915

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but who raised Casualty Lists - and as he was listed on "Daily List dated 28th September 1915" is this an indication of when he was wounded. Based on information that I obtained from the Fusiliers Museum - No 9th Battalion War Diary exists for the period 21st August to 1st October. According to the diary of the 8th Northumberland Fusiliers, Number 1 Battalion occupied reserve dug-outs on the north side of Karakol Dagh overlooking the sea from 28th August.

September: 34th Brigade took over support and fire tranches - Jephson's Post on 4th. Line recorded as quiet but with continuous sniping. Relieved and moved to reserve positions on West Beach on 21st. The War Diary of the 5th Dosetshires records a move with No. 1 Battalion ( 8th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers & 9th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers) to sector around Jephson's Post during the vening of 28th.

It would seem that it was in this move to Jephson's Post that Patrick Birchall was wounded..

Best wishes

Brian

According to the diary of the 8th Northumberland Fusiliers, Number 1 Battalion occupied reserve dug-outs on the north side of Karakol Dagh overlooking the sea from 28th August.

And

The War Diary of the 5th Dosetshires records a move with No. 1 Battalion ( 8th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers & 9th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers) to sector around Jephson's Post during the vening of 28th.

Brian,

Looking at the War Diary of the 8th NF [WO95/4299, image ref 598] suggests that this move took place not on the 28th, but on the next night, the 29th September 1915:

quote “Moved with Brigade reserve at 7 pm on Karakel Dagh relieving 8th West Riding Regt. (sic)”

(On the 28th September 1915 the 8th NF's WD has “In reserve trenches, nothing to report”)

Looking at the Brigade War Diary [same refs as above] the plan for the relief was drawn up on the 27th and it was to take place over two nights (28/29 and 29/30).

The plan gives 5th Dorsets as moving on the second night - 29th/30th

The entry for the 29th seems to support this, as it gives

“Relief of Left SubSection and Jephson's Post carried out after dark. The distribution of the Brigade now as follows;-

5th Dorset. Regt. Jephson's Post (40 men) trenches 52 (sic) & ½ of 52 ...”

regards

Michael

Thank you Michael

To return to the matter of the Casualty List dated 28th September - are you able to say where, and by whom, such lists are compiled.

I would guess they originate from a casualty clearing station - but if so, where would they go from there?

Considering that Patrick Birchall's Service Record was lost in the blitz do I have any hope of discovering how and when he was shipped back to England - the extent of his wounds - and where he was treated?

Best wishes

Brian

Brian,

The Casualty Lists were prepared by the War Office and published in The Times and the Weekly Casualty List publication of the War Office itself.

From my understanding there could be a delay of between 2 to 4 weeks from the date of publication. I wonder if it could have been longer for Gallipoli Casualties.

Sorry, I should have added that information with my post.

Mark.

Mark.

Having read your post I "googled" Gallipoili Casualties - which threw up a number of comprehensive articles on the subject.

My thanks to you and to Michael for your assistance.

Best wishes

Brian