Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

“Eire/Ireland” and “Scissors and Paste” Digitised newspapers

depaor01

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some digitisation I've just completed.

“Eire/Ireland” and “Scissors and Paste” were Irish propaganda newspapers launched by Arthur Griffith, published in 1914 and 1915. The former was suppressed because of its anti-British tone, and was replaced by the aptly named “Scissors and Paste”.

Scissors and Paste circumvented Regulation 27 of the Defence of the Realm act, which forbade new propaganda writing, by simply reprinting articles from other sources. A lot of its articles were strikingly pro-German. In March 1915 “Scissors and Paste” was also suppressed.

While Irish WWI propaganda might be a "niche" interest on the forum, some of these newspapers provide interesting foreign news reports that some might find interesting.

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/11384/browse?type=title&submit_browse=Title

Dave

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some digitisation I've just completed.

“Eire/Ireland” and “Scissors and Paste” were Irish propaganda newspapers launched by Arthur Griffith, published in 1914 and 1915. The former was suppressed because of its anti-British tone, and was replaced by the aptly named “Scissors and Paste”.

Scissors and Paste circumvented Regulation 27 of the Defence of the Realm act, which forbade new propaganda writing, by simply reprinting articles from other sources. A lot of its articles were strikingly pro-German. In March 1915 “Scissors and Paste” was also suppressed.

While Irish WWI propaganda might be a "niche" interest on the forum, some of these newspapers provide interesting foreign news reports that some might find interesting.

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/handle/10599/11384/browse?type=title&submit_browse=Title

Dave

Well done Dave, it maybe as you say "niche" but its great to see that records are being kept and digitized for all of us to read.

Personally I find it a great step forward that we in Ireland are finally beginning to read and understand that period of our history, it has been airbrushed out for far too long.

Yes there are divergent views but at least lets try and understand what went on here during that war, and not simply concentrate on 1916 ( 1916 was a very important event also btw). Last year there was a roadshow in Trinity and the amount of people there who knew nothing of their relatives who fought, or indeed the general political scene at that time highlighted to me that we need to find and issue as much information as possible.

Regards

Paul

Very interesting and useful Dave, thanks. One problem I noticed though is that, for me, the loading of an image was extremely slow (and I use Safari 8.0.2 on a iMac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1). Not sure if this is a problem my end of a limitation in the SDCL servers?

Thanks for the feedback lads.

The images are not particularly large Peter. I'll try from home and see how slow they are at loading. If it proves an issue I'll have it looked at.

Dave

Very interesting and useful Dave, thanks. One problem I noticed though is that, for me, the loading of an image was extremely slow (and I use Safari 8.0.2 on a iMac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1). Not sure if this is a problem my end of a limitation in the SDCL servers?

Hi Peter,

Just tested on my home desktop - AMD processor Windows 7 desktop - nothing special! - The docs open up for me immediately.

However on my son's iPad (the nearest I can get to replicating your setup) it's very slow.

I'll see if there's a solution for Apple devices.

Dave

That's very interesting Dave.

Thanks for the feedback Ulsterlad2

Dave

Yes Dave it loads pretty quick on my laptop (IE9/Win 7) but doesn't load at all on iMAC or iPad. Maybe your technicians at the Library can help with getting it compatible for other users. Thanks again for the link though.