Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILKINSON / PALL MALL P.1907 bayonets

trajan

There were a fair number of Iraqi marked No. 1 Mk.III rifles imported to the US in the early 1990s so there had to be bayonets for them as well.  Bandoleers of Iraqi .303 ammunition was available at the time too.

Edited by Gew88/05

On 8/21/2016 at 10:05, trajan said:

... I don't know anything about any P/07's being issued to 'Iraq' and so I'll leave others to correct or verify that interpretation... 

On 8/22/2016 at 13:59, Gew88/05 said:

There were a fair number of Iraqi marked No. 1 Mk.III rifles imported to the US in the early 1990s so there had to be bayonets for them as well.  Bandoleers of Iraqi .303 ammunition was available at the time too.

Thanks Gew 88/05!

Carl (Old Smithy) contributed this link to the discussion on GBF which shows one of these Iraqi ones - http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL DOCUMNETS/1907_pattern_bayonets.htm

I have one of the Iraqi Wilkinson Pall Mall examples in my collection, I will email you pics Julian & you can post if you want mate ☺

I do too and a couple of Iraqi marked rifles.. if pics needed.

Chris

On 8/25/2016 at 11:44, sawdoc34 said:

I have one of the Iraqi Wilkinson Pall Mall examples in my collection, I will email you pics Julian & you can post if you want mate ☺

Thanks Alec, I'll check those pictures out later today - got a new computer and haven't found a suitable resizing programme yet!

7 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

I do too and a couple of Iraqi marked rifles.. if pics needed.

Chris

Chris, are those bayonets ex-GB? Is the PALL MALL stamping clearly visible or has it been scrubbed? This will be useful to know because if the Iraqi ones are NOT GB issue, and do NOT have the 'PALL MALL' scrubbed, it suggests the possibly of a post GW contract...

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

And thank you! All grist for the mill! I think JMB has an up-to-date listing of these ones and so it will be nice, if he has, to see what kind of numbers we have for what months / years. A rough and ready check on the infamous "order of magnitude" measure!

PS: oh and 4G Chris, any thing to say on the points raised in post 56? 

Edited by trajan
Add PS

Trajan---Sorry to have to say that I do not have any kind of list for these WILKINSON/PALL MALL P.'07's.

I thought that the issue was really to determine when the changeover from WILKINSON had occurred (see posts #35, 40, 46) and I had assumed that the W/PM was continued until production ceased in early 1919.

Tony---In post #10 you describe a possible Saudi Arabia P.07 from Wilkinson that is undated.  If it has inspectors' stamps, we could possibly at least bracket the date by comparison with stamps from dated bayonets.

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB,

My notes say that there is an Enfield stamp by the bending mark. Will look next time I am home in 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Tony

On 8/27/2016 at 04:12, trajan said:

Chris, are those bayonets ex-GB? Is the PALL MALL stamping clearly visible or has it been scrubbed? This will be useful to know because if the Iraqi ones are NOT GB issue, and do NOT have the 'PALL MALL' scrubbed, it suggests the possibly of a post GW contract...

Julian

Had to dig it out -- my Iraqi marked bayonet is a 1917 SANDERSON, stamped as per regular British bayonet (11/17 issue) It has been chromed for parade use and has Iraqi markings only on the pommel. Probably not relevant to this discussion.

Chris

On 9/9/2016 at 01:28, 4thGordons said:

Had to dig it out -- my Iraqi marked bayonet is a 1917 SANDERSON, stamped as per regular British bayonet (11/17 issue) It has been chromed for parade use and has Iraqi markings only on the pommel. Probably not relevant to this discussion.

Chris

Thanks for checking anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

1936 dated SMLE supplied to Iraq (deactivated unfortunately). I have put the pics of what I'm fairly sure is a post WW1 Wilkinson contract bayonet on JMB's 'Numbering of a P.1907 (11 '18) bayonet' post.

Cheers,

Tony

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

Thanks for showing that one Tony, especially the clear view of the Iraqi markings.

Julian

• 8 months later...

Saw this today - gives an idea of what went on at Wilkinson's of Pall Mall. Certainly not just a bayonet assembly line!

wil.jpg.031857e04db3d2888dc2d09865c46426.jpg

Dave

16 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Saw this today - gives an idea of what went on at Wilkinson's of Pall Mall. Certainly not just a bayonet assembly line!

Fascinating! Thanks! Any date on that other than WW1? The potential need for a "Complete Service Outfit at short notice" strikes an ominous note, but there again, the full range of "Camp Kit(sic)" to go with it, and ready for inspection, sounds intriguing!  

From the Tottygraph archive 6th June 1917. 

They have a daily WW1 entire paper online. Just search for "daily telegraph ww1"

Amazing the variety of officer kit available.  ORs made do with home knitted "comforts" and were presumably very grateful.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Looks like some people outside of GWF have been reading this thread and the discussion on the dates of these Wilkinson Pall Malls! See: https://www.bayonetsandbullets.co.uk/product/ref-372-gb-p1907/

On 18/03/2015 at 02:18, Ogilwy said:

I wish I'd never read any of these Bayonet Threads! I could very easilly become a collector at this!!!

The long haired General would kill me if I started buying something else, although my new rifles bayonet is an exception, (when I find a nice one)!

Rod

Lol I know I'm started reading now. Look at what they've sewn. !! 😂

Be very careful... I specifically collect German bayonet only and not any others (well, except for P.1888's and P.1903's) to keep in my SWMBO's good books... But I have just been offered a P.1907 that looks to be marked to my granddad's first regiment, the Loyal North Lancs...

Trajan

1 hour ago, trajan said:

But I have just been offered a P.1907 that looks to be marked to my granddad's first regiment, the Loyal North Lancs...

Go on. Chance of a lifetime.  You know it makes sense! :devilgrin:

29 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Go on. Chance of a lifetime.  You know it makes sense! :devilgrin:

I agree with that....may be another pair of shoes or handbag on top though😢.