Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Croix de guerre with Palm

RBrothwell1

My great uncle Ernest Shep Toyne was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm. He was with the 2nd Battalion, Cheshire Regiment out in Salonika. Have attached the receipt for it. It was in the London Gazette on the 15th Dec 1919. I thought he might have been attached to the 12th battalion, but his records don't mention any attachment to the 12th battalion. He was attached to the 1/85th Punjabis in November 1918.

post-15356-0-79500900-1422134213_thumb.j

Hi Richard1

Below is the prelim for the gazette, as it states various dates, I would say he could have earned it at any time during WW1, as I would call this Gazette, an End of War list.

War Office,

15th December, 1919.

O £, The following are among the Decorations

and Medals awarded by the Allied Powers at

.various dates to the British Forces for distinguished

services rendered during the course of

the campaign

I would still try the 2nd Battalion, Cheshire Regiment War Diary for around Dec 1919, I would expect there should be an announcement of awards to a member of the unit even if he was attached to some other unit. Do you know if he was with the 2nd all the way through. His MM was with the Cheshire Regiment. You may find both recommendations / citations in their War Diary.

Try the local newspapers they can help with some extra info.

If you do could I ask that you let me know so I can add them to my database.

Good Luck with your research

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help.

According to his records. He enlisted in the RGA in November 1914.

Posted to 576 RGA January 1915.

Then transferred and posted to the 3rd Battalion, Cheshire Regt., June 1915.

Posted to the 2nd battalion, Cheshire Regt., January 1916 and joined them in Salonika, February 1916.

According to the "The History of the Cheshire Regiment in the Great War" by Col., A Crookenden, he got the MM for a raid on the Bulgars on the 20th Dec 1917.

His records says he was awarded the MM on the 30th Dec 1917, but it wasn't in the Gazette until March 1918.

Attached as Platoon Sergeant to 1/85th Punjabis in November 1918.

He returned to the UK in April 1919.

I do know the 12th Battalion, Cheshire Regt., was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm for an action at the Battle of Dojran on the 18th September 1918. that's why I was wondering if he had been attached to them.

Richard

• 3 years later...

Hi Richard.  Shep was my paternal grandfather.  I now have his medals which came to me recently after my aunt died. I also have the original top half of the form above.  My father, Cyril John Toyne, is still with us and living in East London.

regards

Andy Toyne