Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Harcus MM

davidda16

hi guys

just purchased a silver war badge on ebay got it for a great price, did some research before bidding ,it belonged to Alexander Harcus 588 and 630252 gnr RFA,it turns out he was awarded the military medal but it doesnt show up on his medal index card which ive seen before on other cards

is this just a mistake, his MM is in the Gazette 18/10/17,any ideas where he would have been in action,

heres his medal card,

thanks

david

post-96415-0-11492600-1422122066_thumb.j

some times they say MM some times not

rule of thumb is 3 months or so prior to gazette date for the action

you could try searching british newspapers - try findmypast or british newspaper archives - might tell you what he did to get the MM

Alexander Harcus has a service record available on FMP/Ancestry which states:

"Awarded Military medal for gallantry by 18th Corp Commander. Authy 51st office routine order no 220 of 29-8-17. Gazette 18-10-17."

Mick.

Do you know where he was from?

I have ancestors on my father's side who were surnamed Harcus and came from Orkney, although to-date I haven't surfaced an 'Alexander'.

It looks like he was originally in the 3/1st Highland Brigade from May 1915 and then transferred to the 1/1st Highland Brigade (later 255th Artillery Brigade) in November 1915 to serve with the artillery of 51st (Highland) Division. In Feb 1918 he was part of "A" Battery of 255th Brigade. His Silver war Badge seems to have been for a wound to his left hand, though I can't see a date for that.

51st Division were part of XVIII Corps (commanded by Maxse) in Gough's 5th Army during the 3rd Battle of Ypres. During the 51st Division's previous battle at Arras in April they were in XVII Corps (Fergusson) in Third Army (Allenby).

Steve.

Did you all notice the note on his service records about not receiving his MM , do you think he didn't want it for some reason?

David