Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland uniform conundrum - what unit is he in....?

headgardener

Its a minor point but I actually do not think this is an SNCO/Officer pattern Gordon's badge. I think it is a standard one. I have well over a hundred Gordons pics and the 3D versions are far more 3D to my mind than this one appears to be. The antlers and stag's nose are far more prominent that this appears to be to me.

I am not sure that gets us far but for what it is worth....

On the "dress up" uniform - I wonder if this was really that common. It certainly happened of course, (for example I have several photos of women in men's uniforms) but I get the impression that it is often used in discussions like this as a catch-all explanation for something that otherwise seems inexplicable or contravenes regulations or expectations etc. It's the equivalent of the archeologists "probably of ritual significance" which to me usually translates as - "I have no idea what this is or why it is here" Personally I think it was far less common than tends to be assumed and that vagaries/mistakesin "uniform" (sic) issue/supply/dress/use are more likely to be explanation.

Chris

The most common form of "dress up" I have seen for studio photos of Highland soldiers has been an extra embellishment to an otherwise correct uniform. This is most often seen as an OR in a full dress uniform adding a full scarf plaid probably to impress the folks back home. I cannot remember seeing a "dress up" with service dress uniform.

Whilst we are no nearer to working out why young Brooks of the 22nd Royal Fusiliers(Kensington Battalion) is wearing a Gordon Highlander's Glengarry and a red Royal Stewart tartan kilt,it is curious to see that the 23rd Royal Fusiliers (Sportsman's Battalion) was recruiting throughout Scotland in late 1914,and specifically in Aberdeenshire in October.

The Aberdeen Daily Journal of 22 October 1914 reported that Captain Westhead of the 23rds was at the Palace Hotel,Aberdeen,for the purpose of recruiting,and had appealed for "all classes of sportsmen and men of good education - ghillies are especially invited".It is of interest as well,that Lt.G.M.Brown of the 23rds was apparently transferred to the Gordon Highlanders in January 1915.

If the 23rds had had some success in recruiting in far away Aberdeenshire,it is not out of the question that the 22nds could have tried it as well.Any more thoughts?

Whilst we are no nearer to working out why young Brooks of the 22nd Royal Fusiliers(Kensington Battalion) is wearing a Gordon Highlander's Glengarry and a red Royal Stewart tartan kilt,it is curious to see that the 23rd Royal Fusiliers (Sportsman's Battalion) was recruiting throughout Scotland in late 1914,and specifically in Aberdeenshire in October.

The Aberdeen Daily Journal of 22 October 1914 reported that Captain Westhead of the 23rds was at the Palace Hotel,Aberdeen,for the purpose of recruiting,and had appealed for "all classes of sportsmen and men of good education - ghillies are especially invited".It is of interest as well,that Lt.G.M.Brown of the 23rds was apparently transferred to the Gordon Highlanders in January 1915.

If the 23rds had had some success in recruiting in far away Aberdeenshire,it is not out of the question that the 22nds could have tried it as well.Any more thoughts?

Some members with better eyes than I have seem to see 22 RF in the shoulder title. The trouble I have with that theory is why anyone would go to the trouble of transporting those shoulder titles to a Highland cutaway service dress jacket that would never be worn on actual duty.

Had a look in the 22nd Battalion,Royal Fusiliers section of "Soldiers Who Died in the Great War",and there are three listed who are recorded as enlisting in Scotland:one in Edinburgh,one in Aberdeen City,and one in Oldmeldrum (Aberdeenshire).Under the 2/4th Battalion,one soldier who enlisted in Glasgow,is described as being formerly with the ASC,and formerly with the 22nd Battalion.Certainly looks as if there was some sort of recruitment programme for the 22nds throughout Scotland,and prior to 1917.

As an aside,I noted in the listings that many of the deaths for the 45th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers in Russia in August 1919 are described as "former Gordon Highlanders".

The 23rd RF did indeed recruit heavily in Scotland (their first C.O., Lord Maitland, was Scottish, by the bye) and they did have a pipe band, but there's no evidence yet found that they wore highland dress. If anyone can confirm either way, I'd be very interested to know.

A quick search of "Scotland", "Scottish", and "Pipers" in my Kindle copy of G I S Inligs' book "Kensington Battalion: Never Lost a Yard of Trench" does not yield any results to indicate that the 22nd either recruited in Scotland or had a pipe band. Sorry!

The interesting thing is that his shoulder titles (which I appreciate can't be seen clearly on the scan) definitely consist of the letters RF underneath a flaming grenade, and they are clearly metal rather than a cloth 'slip-on' title.

HG - Any chance you could provide a closer scan of the shoulder title, zoomed in to show the detail?

The most common form of "dress up" I have seen for studio photos of Highland soldiers has been an extra embellishment to an otherwise correct uniform. This is most often seen as an OR in a full dress uniform adding a full scarf plaid probably to impress the folks back home. I cannot remember seeing a "dress up" with service dress uniform.

Could it have been used for a wedding shot? This might be a red herring, but I found the following newspaper article about the marriage of Arthur Brooks, 22nd Royal Fusiliers, to a Scottish lassie. It's from the Aberdeen Weekly Journal, dated August 24th, 1917:

170824   Aberdeen Weekly Journal

Could it have been used for a wedding shot? This might be a red herring, but I found the following newspaper article about the marriage of Arthur Brooks, 22nd Royal Fusiliers, to a Scottish lassie. It's from the Aberdeen Weekly Journal, dated August 24th, 1917:

That's amazing......! It's from Peterhead as well. I wonder whether you might have cracked the case!?

I'm at work atm, so will post again later this eve. Thanks for everyone's interest in this so far. I had been hoping to return to the thread with news regarding the various Arthur Brooks amongst the MIC's, but I haven't managed to get to the local library yet. Will post again later.....

Some members with better eyes than I have seem to see 22 RF in the shoulder title. The trouble I have with that theory is why anyone would go to the trouble of transporting those shoulder titles to a Highland cutaway service dress jacket that would never be worn on actual duty.

I suggest you look at post #30.

Arthur Clement Brooks, 27, East India Merchant's Clerk, Private 22 Royal Fusiliers, 4254, present residence Military Hospital, Oldmill, Newmills; son of Francis Thomas Brooks (Music Publisher, deceased) and Blanche Mary Brooks (m.s. Foulsham) (Marriage record - scotlandspeople)

He went to France on 30/07/1915 with 13 Royal Fusiliers.

Unfortunately I have to go out! A bit more to come!

R.

Edit: Marriage 21/08/1917, Powis parish church, Aberdeen.

Bride: Marjorie Beatte Morrice, Spinster - "At Home". 18, 38 Esslemont Avenue, Aberdeen, Father: William Morrice (prison warder - deceased); Mother: Margaret Mutch McDonald, previously Morrice, m.s. Beattie.

I think Arthur had a Silver War Badge, but have not found it so far.

R.

Silver War Badge and Service / War Medal rolls:

A Brooks GS/4254 Service Medal and Award Roll

A Brooks GS/4254 Silver War Badge

I may have these the wrong way round, but you get the idea ... ;)
Edited by wbremner

Found It! (ancestry). Arthur was discharged from 6 RF on 19/2/1918 from Wounds (KR para 392 XVI) aged 27 (The Medal Roll gives 19/2/1919!)

6RF was a home based reserve battalion.

He enlisted on 18/9/1914.

The BWM & VM gives two periods of service - both in theatre (1a - France):

31/7/1915 to 19/8/1916

16/11/1916 to 28/2/1917.

Annoyingly it does not give RF battalion numbere

16/9/14 ... Enlisted

31/7/15 ... Overseas

19/8/16 ... Home (wounded?)

16/11/16 ... Overseas

28/2/17 ... Home

21/8/17 ... Married

19/2/18 ... Discharged from 6RF (although MIC says 19/2/19)

Found It! (ancestry). Arthur was discharged from 6 RF on 19/2/1918 from Wounds (KR para 392 XVI) aged 27 (The Medal Roll gives 19/2/1919!)

6RF was a home based reserve battalion.

He enlisted on 18/9/1914.

The BWM & VM gives two periods of service - both in theatre (1a - France):

31/7/1915 to 19/8/1916

16/11/1916 to 28/2/1917.

Annoyingly it does not give RF battalion numbere

Great minds think alike!

He must have been original 13 RF. They landed in Boulogne on 30/7/1915. (Edwards)

R.

Bride: Marjorie Beatte Morrice, Spinster - "At Home". 18, 38 Esslemont Avenue, Aberdeen, Father: William Morrice (prison warder - deceased); Mother: Margaret Mutch McDonald, previously Morrice, m.s. Beattie.

This booklet was produced by the church in which they were married. Page 9 lists a "William Morrice, 1/H.F.A., France" and a "Charles Morrice, 1/Sec 35/D.A.C, France". Can't tell whether they were related to the bride.

100554614.30.jpg

The church has since been converted into a shop, apparently.

Arthur Clement Brooks, 27, East India Merchant's Clerk, Private 22 Royal Fusiliers, 4254, present residence Military Hospital, Oldmill, Newmills;

Formerly a poorhouse and infirmary, "between May 1915 and June 1919 Oldmill was evacuated and used as a military hospital, the patients and ordinary inmates being sent to other hospitals and poorhouses in the area."

3291861491_794d644afd.jpg

Here are a group of soldiers at Oldmill, in "Hospital Blues":

7493.jpg

And another picture, this one of soldiers making "camouflage netting as part of their rehabilitation at Oldmill Military Hospital, Aberdeen,1918.".

Camouflage.jpg

So was this a story of "wounded English soldier meets young volunteer nurse while in Scottish hospital", perhaps?

Here's an interesting one. It's a photo of a serving soldier, taken in Peterhead (Aberdeenshire), and I'd be very interested in your opinions on his uniform - most particularly as to whether they 'fit' together correctly.

• the brassard (apparently blank) on his left arm

Being a wounded soldier, this could explain the brassard, possibly darkish blue in colour, on his uniform, in lieu of wearing hospital blues. By way of example, here is a picture of wounded soldiers wearing brassards.

However, in the picture of A C Brooks, the brassard is being worn on the left arm, and his right side is hidden. Perhaps he lost his right arm as a result of being wounded?

Formerly a poorhouse and infirmary, "between May 1915 and June 1919 Oldmill was evacuated and used as a military hospital, the patients and ordinary inmates being sent to other hospitals and poorhouses in the area."

3291861491_794d644afd.jpg

Here are a group of soldiers at Oldmill, in "Hospital Blues":

7493.jpg

And another picture, this one of soldiers making "camouflage netting as part of their rehabilitation at Oldmill Military Hospital, Aberdeen,1918.".

Camouflage.jpg

So was this a story of "wounded English soldier meets young volunteer nurse while in Scottish hospital", perhaps?

I had not realised that Woodend was Oldmill Military Hospital in WW1. (It is very obviously an ex-workhouse.)

R.

16/11/1916 to 28/2/1917.

On Feb 16th/17th the 22nd Royal Fusiliers carried out an operation in the Miraumont area during which there was intense fighting and many casualties. Here's a snapshot of the 22RF War Diary for Feb 17th:

22RF War Diary Feb 17 1917

"A mist lay over the battlefield during the day, hampering the artillery but enabling a large number of wounded to be brought in".

The Battle of Miraumont is excellently covered in Inglis' book on the 22nd RF, and well worth reading. 22RF fought alongside 23RF and KRRC that day. In 22RF, 276 "other ranks" were counted as casualties.

After this operation, things were quieter for the 22nd RF through the end of February, so it's conceivable that Brooks was wounded in this operation, initially treated in a local CCS and/or Base Hospital, and then sent back to Blighty for recovery.

Well, I have to say that I'm amazed at what has been unearthed here....! Thank you very much to everyone who has contributed so far, and a special thanks to wbremner and rolt968 for their most recent posts which I suspect have cracked this case. It's been a bit like a recipe - some unlikely ingredients thrown together in a pot, left to simmer for a while, then when the lid comes off..... Well, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away there. But really, I think this is the answer, and I am very grateful to eveyone for their comments and advice so far.

My feeling, expressed in several early posts, was that there was something genuine about this photo. Firstly, there was the fact that his shoulder-titles matched the annotation on the reverse ("22nd Royal Fusiliers") which made me think that there was more to this image than someone just 'dressing up' in some random bits of uniform. Secondly, there was the fact that he was wearing a plain brassard - it seemed to be such a strange addition to a 'mock' uniform. And why would a 22/RF man be having his photo taken in Peterhead....?

I believe that the most recent suggestion by wbremner - that this photo is related to his wedding in Peterhead to a local lass, and that the brassard relates to his status as a patient at a local hospital or convalescent home - is almost certainly correct. In that case, the uniform was cobbled together (perhaps an in-laws' kilt and jacket?) in order to fit in with a highland wedding, or perhaps just for fun at a Burns' night....? We'll probably never know for certain. The fact that he's half-turned to the camera, and his right arm isn't visible may relate to a wound that he received (maybe an amputation?).

I am at work, and unfortunately I have to break off now, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their help so far! I have a couple more comments to make, so will be back later....!

A little more:

Arthur Clement Brooks; born 27 June 1890, registered in Hackney; Died 4th Quarter of 1969 in Luton.(BMD Index England.)

Marjorie Beattie Brooks died in a sanatorium in Ware, Hertfordshire, on 16 April 1934, aged 34. They were then living at 155 Hatfield Road, St. Albans. Arthur was a grocer. (Probate.)

(I wonder if the cutaway SD jacket and the glengarry had been lent by another soldier in the hospital?)

R.

(I wonder if the cutaway SD jacket and the glengarry had been lent by another soldier in the hospital?)

R - I was wondering the same thing. Could also have been a friend or relative of the bride. In which case did he add his RF badges temporarily?

Firstly, there was the fact that his shoulder-titles matched the annotation on the reverse ("22nd Royal Fusiliers")

HG - Still interested in seeing a more detailed scan of the shoulder title, if you can provide...

I believe that the most recent suggestion by wbremner - that this photo is related to his wedding in Peterhead to a local lass, and that the brassard relates to his status as a patient at a local hospital or convalescent home - is almost certainly correct. In that case, the uniform was cobbled together (perhaps an in-laws' kilt and jacket?) in order to fit in with a highland wedding, or perhaps just for fun at a Burns' night....? We'll probably never know for certain. The fact that he's half-turned to the camera, and his right arm isn't visible may relate to a wound that he received (maybe an amputation?).

More of a guess than a suggestion :whistle:

I'm following up a lead who may have a wedding photo ... if I get a copy (and permission to use it), I'll post to the topic.

R - I was wondering the same thing. Could also have been a friend or relative of the bride. In which case did he add his RF badges temporarily?

HG - Still interested in seeing a more detailed scan of the shoulder title, if you can provide...

Regarding the uniform - as a patient at Newmill his only 'uniform' would have been hospital blues, which is hardly the sort of thing to wear at a wedding (or a Burns' Night. for that matter!). I would suspect that this would be the reason for a 'replacement' - perhaps from other patients or from family-to-be (maybe the Gordons' cap badge was a mark of respect to his best mate or his future in-laws?).

Regarding the shoulder-title, I'll bring the pic in again and try to get a better scan. I did try previously (see one of my previous posts on this thread) but the resolution on this scanner didn't seem to be good enough. I'll try again, though. I've had a strong lens on the photo, and it definitely is a 2-letter title, the 2nd letter of which appears to be an 'F', surmounted by a grenade.

Intrigued to hear about a possible wedding photo........